Senior Cloud Automation Engineer - Remote - US ONLY
Please list all professional experience and explain any gaps in employment history.
The Washington Post is looking for a Senior Cloud Automation Engineer to join our Platform Architecture team. Our team members have a passion to automate repetitive tasks, make code run fast and deployments go smoothly. Your first instinct will be to write code for a task you do more than once, cringe at the notion of interactively make changes to systems without making the changes in code and avoid building deployable artifacts by hand. You will proactively look for opportunities to replace manual, repetitive processes with maintainable, repeatable code and tools. Our software and infrastructure solutions allow our software development teams to focus on creative work, and helps our organization deliver faster and more consistently.
- Ensure software development teams properly utilize our AWS infrastructure, manage cost against performance goals, implement tools and processes to standardize best practices across the organization.
- Lead small-team initiatives to continuously refine our AWS deployment practices for improved reliability, repeatability and security.
- Write code and scripts to automate provisioning of AWS services and to configure services, using tools and languages including AWS CLI / API, CloudFormation, Python, Bash, and Git.
- Configure build pipelines to support automated testing and deployments using tools including Jenkins, AWS CodePipeline and CodeDeploy.
- Contribute to DevSecOps security practices (including regular security patching, minimum-permissions accounts and policies, encrypt-everything)
- Clearly document and diagram deployment-specific aspects of architectures and environments, working closely with Software Development Teams.
- Troubleshoot issues in production and other environments, working closely with Development and Support teams.
- Document and implement deployment patterns & practices improvements based on learnings from past deployments and production issues.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent required; focus in computer science, engineering, business or related technical field preferred.
- Minimum of 7 years of relevant technical professional experience required including a minimum of 3 years of experience in systems integration, systems analysis and design, and object-oriented development.
- Minimum of 5 years of IT experience in a combination of development, release or build engineering and containerization experience
- Minimum of 2 years hands-on containerization and infrastructure experience with technologies such as Docker or Kubernetes
- Experience with system configuration management tools such as CloudFormation, Ansible, Terraform, Chef, Puppet
- AWS administration experience including provisioning EC2 instances, VPCs, Elastic Beanstalk, Lambda functions, RDS databases, S3 storage, IAM security, ECS containers, CloudWatch metrics & logs
- Experience developing and deploying serverless functions using AWS Lambda
- Experience developing and deploying Docker Containers on ECS
- Experience with SQL and RDS databases
- Experience with monitoring and alerting tools such as DataDog, Grafana, Prometheus, Sysdig
- Experience with log aggregation tools such as Splunk, Sumologic, ELK
- Experience with CI/CD Software: Git, Jenkins, Github, AWS CodePipeline and CodeBuild, Bamboo, Bitbucket, Travis, Gitlab, Sonar
- Be able to provide instruction to small groups
- Demonstrated organization and problem-solving skills