High School Dean - Special Education
7 days left
- Full Time
The High School Special Education Dean works to ensure the provision of a Free and Appropriate Public Education for all students in accordance with all State and Federal Guidelines.
The dean's knowledge and responsibilities require them to be in the classroom on a daily basis monitoring and assisting with providing specialized instruction and ensuring that all needs are met.
The responsibilities of the Dean include but are not limited to:
* Oversight and maintenance of official special education records in compliance with Virginia Regulations
* Expert knowledge of procedural safeguards that provide parents of students with disabilities notice of actions proposed or refused by the school
* Expert knowledge of the components of child find process including screening and referral who may be in need of special education or related services
* Coordination of child study team meetings for review of records and other evidence in order to make recommendations.
* The high school Dean must be knowledgeable in State and Federal Regulations that govern the drafting and implementation of the Individualized Education Program.
* Supervising IEP development, reviews and revisions, and provision of services in the Least Restrictive Environment
* Serving as the designee for all IEP and Re-evaluation Meetings
* Ensuring appropriate membership for IEP team meetings
* Making certain appropriate secondary transition goals and services are included at age 14 and age 16
* Knowledge of and appropriate participation in State and District Wide Assessments, Verified Credit and Diploma requirements
* Monitoring Progress reporting
* Coordination of services and provisions for children with disabilities who transfer between schools in Virginia or from a Local Education Agency outside of Virginia
* Knowledge of the least restrictive environment and the continuum of services and placements available.
* Comprehensive knowledge of all disabilities and the continuum of service models to assist and support IEP teams in recommending the Least Restrictive Environment and placement.
* Performs related work as required.
Master's Degree and endorsement in special education; administrative endorsement or special education leadership certificate preferred.
* Has successful experience as a teacher, administrator, or supervisor.
* Possesses leadership qualities and personal characteristics necessary to work effectively with students, parents, teachers, administrators, and community.
The Dean reports to the Principal or designee.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to touch and hold objects or instruments and to type; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is regularly required to see, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch or bend, and may be required to lift up to approximately 15 pounds. Itinerant travel is required, and the employee is frequently required to change locations and adapt to multiple environments across schools, offices and home visits. Ability to drive and navigate to multiple locations occasionally within a single day is required.