Associate Vice President, Academic Affairs Finance & Administration
Associate Vice President, Academic Affairs Finance and Administration
Office of the Chief Academic Officer
Exempt, Regular, Full-time
University of Maryland University College (UMUC) seeks an Associate Vice President (AVP) for Academic Affairs Finance and Administration within the Office of the Chief Academic Officer (CAO). Reporting to the Deputy Chief Academic Officer (DCAO), the AVP is responsible for the strategic leadership and oversight of the finance and administrative functions for the Division of Academic Affairs (AA), including budget, finance, and human resources. The AVP works closely with the DCAO and CAO to align and allocate resources with strategic and operational planning decisions and to develop long-term planning mechanisms to ensure achievement of goals and priorities. The AVP works collaboratively with departments across the university, including Budget & Financial Analysis, Facilities Management, Finance & Travel, Human Resources, and Procurement to implement and comply with organizational strategies and polices. The AVP also works collaboratively with and provides finance and administrative expertise to department heads within Academic Affairs.
Key responsibilities of the AVP for Finance and Administration include:
- Develop strategies, procedures, and policies that support efficient and effective allocation, management and monitoring of the Division of Academic Affairs' resources through practices focused on achieving and reinvesting in the academic mission.
- Model financial impact of retention improvements tied to specific student success strategies. Assist with the prioritization of retention projects in Academic Affairs.
- Estimate ROI for strategic projects being submitted to Executive Committee for approval.
- Cultivate an environment of meaningful and disciplined analysis, establishing benchmarks to evaluate and set direction for the division regarding resource allocation and use. Collaborate with departmental budget liaisons to provide relative metrics and benchmark data for proper resource planning.
- Research, prepare recommendations, and advise the DCAO and CAO concerning funding allocations and expenditures as appropriate to achieve the divisions strategic goals.
- Implement and oversee an annual budget planning, maintenance, and reconciliation process within the context of Academic Affairs' strategic and operational goals. Work closely with the university's Finance division to conduct initial set-up, on-going maintenance, and closing procedures.
- Approve expenditures and implement budgetary adjustments as appropriate and necessary.
- Support the Office of the Chief Academic Officer and the Academic Affairs leadership team in preparing requests for budget enhancements and/or university investment funds, and prepare and update periodic budget monitoring reports for Academic Affairs department heads and other representatives to review and modify. Conduct cost/benefit analyses for Academic Affairs projects and budget categories and provide guidance to Academic Affairs department heads on the same.
- Communicate directly with the coordinators of all Academic Affairs departments to ensure adherence to university accounting policies and procedures, as well as internal guidelines. Resolve issues in collaboration with Academic Affairs and other departments.
- Ensure timely and accurate communications to AA and institutional stakeholders on matters related to budget, personnel, and other administrative issues.
- Collaborate with the Procurement office to ensure maximal efficiency and effectiveness of contracts, services, and tools obtained through Procurement for academic purposes.
- Develop, implement, and monitor a process for tracking organizational memberships, benefits, and conference attendance and presentations, including an internally facing program to share insights, innovations, and lessons learned from conference attendees to the Academic Affairs leadership team and larger Academic Affairs team, as appropriate.
- Oversees Academic Affairs' facilities. Initiates and oversees facility improvements. Determines space allocation and coordinates office relocations in collaboration with Facilities Management.
- Other duties as assigned.
Human Resources Administration
- Serve as the CAO's chief liaison to Human Resources on a variety of personnel matters, and as a liaison to Academic Affairs' departmental representatives for human resources, personnel, and related matters; facilitate the review and approval process for related documentation.
- With the DCAO, establish, implement, and supervise the division's organizational strategies, business processes, policies, and procedures in order to ensure adherence to University policies and procedures.
- Serve as a liaison to Human Resources and to Academic Affairs' departmental representatives for staffing matters.
- Communicate directly with the coordinators of all Academic Affairs departments to ensure adherence to university human resources policies and procedures, as well as internal guidelines. Resolve issues in collaboration with Academic Affairs and other departments.
- In collaboration with other university offices and with Academic Affairs departments, ensures compliance by Academic Affairs' personnel of state and federal requirements with regards to sexual harassment training, FERPA training, and others as necessary or appropriate.
Required education and experience: Master's degree in Business, Finance, Accounting, or a related field and at least ten years of experience managing the budget and finances of a complex organization, preferably in higher education or the public sector. Five (5) or more years of experience managing people, and experience leading teams and coordinating cross-functional initiatives.
Preferred education and experience: Strong management, analytic and organizational skills; excellent writing and presentation skills, including the ability to effectively communicate financial information to non-financial audiences; ability to interact and communicate effectively at all levels of an organization, including senior management, and to propose recommendations in an articulate fashion; a broad understanding of current issues impacting financial operations in higher education; ability to act confidentially and to make decisions independently; ability to successfully manage shifting priorities and to multi-task successfully; experience in leading cross-functional teams and gaining buy-in across all levels of an organization from senior executives to individual contributors within a project team; proven ability to lead the implementation of complex projects or major programs from vision through successful launch and continuous improvements; ability to adapt to and lead change in a dynamic work environment; an analytical and results-driven orientation, including the ability to establish and improve metrics, processes, and associated behaviors. Knowledge of a collective bargaining environment preferred.
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.If you are an external candidate, you will have the option to create an account after you submit your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to apply to additional jobs.