Installs new and/or expands existing microprocessor-based computer systems, including all desktop personal computer (PC) moves/additions/changes. Installs new and maintains existing hardware. Performs inventory on desktop hardware. Prepares reports as required. Trains and mentors Desktop Support Assistants.
Applying specific technical knowledge, incumbent performs responsibilities requiring the identification and analysis of various factors to recommend proper course of action. While some tasks are complex, most decision-making can be made within pre-determined approaches. Proceeds on own initiative in compliance with policies, procedures, and practices, but receives guidance or expertise from supervisor or higher-level staff when needed. May lead and provide functional guidance to lower level support employees.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
1. Acts as the single point of contact for end-users requiring information technology (IT) assistance by way of phone or email support requests. Provides end-users with timely problem-solving and technical support at the desktop.
2. Utilizes an IT Service Management system for documenting and managing incident and service requests. Takes inbound calls/emails and generates incidents/service requests.
3. Coordinates timely installation of disk images to workstations. Configures individual workstations to the specifications required to ensure optimal performance.
4. Identifies and diagnoses IT related issues between hardware, software, and/or network related issues. Makes timely and accurate diagnosis of system related problems. Effectively collaborates with other IT staff to solve technical matters.
5. Performs and updates assets in the Inventory Management system to include workstations, monitors, printers, and other IT assets. Repairs, replaces, and moves assigned equipment depending on various levels of technical competency.
6. Installs, repairs, and replaces new workstations and peripherals.
7. Performs testing on new and existing products and services as assigned. Provides feedback and recommendations based on analysis.
8. Trains and mentors Desktop Support Assistants to help develop their technical skills.
9. Rolls out new machines and replaces existing equipment as needed.
10. Performs institutional upgrades and sweeps, as needed, following established ITS procedures for installation and machine configuration.
11. Assists End User Consultants in maintaining standard desktop and software configurations.
NONESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
• Related duties and special projects as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Knowledge of back-end technologies (e.g. Directory Services, Network Configuration, Image Creation, Storage, network and workstation security). Excellent troubleshooting skills. Ability to deal with a high volume of varying technology from hardware, software, to network connectivity issues. Ability to articulate problems and resolutions to both technical and non-technical end users. Ability to diagnose and repair workstations and peripherals. Ability to use some latitude for independent judgement, discretion, and action. Experience working in complex environments with a high degree of organizational effectiveness. Ability to work successfully in a team environment. Excellent communication skills with a proven ability to effectively interact with all levels of employees.
Minimum Education/Training Requirements: Associate's degree in a related field, or equivalent knowledge.
Minimum Experience: Two years of related professional experience.
Physical Capabilities: Ability to work at a computer for extended periods of time. Frequently moves computer equipment weighing up to 40 pounds. Regularly services customers at their workstations.
Required Licenses, Certification or Registration: A+ certification preferred.
Supervisory Responsibilities/Controls: Reports to Manager. Sets objectives with supervisor.
Work Environment: Office environment with occasional travel between National Academies' facilities and to off-site locations.
Any qualification to be considered equivalent, in lieu of stated minimum, requires the prior approval of the Office of Human Resources.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. Some functions in this description may be specific to a particular unit of the National Academies and not applicable to other units.