Teacher Assistant, Grades 1-5 (2 openings)
This is work providing instructional assistance to students under the direction of a licensed teacher.
An employee in this class is responsible for carrying out designated instructional activities such as: preparing classroom materials, supervising student behavior, going over lessons with students, and performing routine office clerical duties. Experienced workers in these positions initiate their own daily assignments, follow through on matters, and use independent judgment and training to take appropriate actions to deal with standard recurring situations.
* Provides individual and group instruction as directed; demonstrates and assists students with skill development exercises. Implements designated portions of lesson plans. Participates with students in classroom activities
* Implements behavior modification plans. Observes and records student actions, progress, and other occurrences
* Prepares the classroom and helps manage the students; organizes the room and materials; records attendance; maintains bulletin boards
* Sets up and operates audio visual equipment
* Performs photocopying and general office clerical work
* Performs related work as required
Graduation from high school, supplemented by course work in child development or related field, and experience working with children; or any equivalent combination of education and experience that would provide the following knowledge, abilities, and skills:
* Ability to work effectively with children; to carry out designated instructional assignments properly; to note and record student behavior; to supervise student behavior and learning activities; to perform general clerical work
* Good human relations and communications skills