Director of Sales & Marketing
Director of Sales & Marketing
The Samuel Riggs IV Alumni Center is the premiere event venue at the University of Maryland in College Park. The center serves not only as a home to our alumni, but headquarters for the Maryland Alumni Association staff and operations and as an event venue for the public.
The Director of Event Sales & Marketing is responsible for the operations, overall success and a $1M annual revenue goal of the Samuel Riggs IV Conference Center, owned and operated by the University of Maryland Alumni Association. As part of these efforts, the Director leads a team of 6-7 staff to execute over 400 events annually. He/she will be maximizing utilization and revenue of the Center, managing expenses, ensuring smooth operations and maintaining good working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
The successful candidate is an experienced event and/or conference center senior professional who excels as a strategist and enjoys working collaboratively across an organization. This position reports to the CFO and serves as part of the middle management team of the Alumni Association.
Event Sales & Marketing
- Directs and drives all Riggs Alumni Center operations, including sales and marketing and event operations.
- Develops and executes the Alumni Center sales plan and strategy to meet or exceed facility’s revenue goals. Identifies and anticipates market trends and volatility. Recommends alternative options and solutions to improve sales.
- Fosters and continually enhances relationships with alumni center clients, vendors, community organizations and professional associations.
- Participates in related industry conferences and networking opportunities on a local and regional level; responds to RFP’s and develops a network of potential clients and colleagues in the conference industry and community to enhance the presence of the Riggs Alumni Center as a conference, meeting and special event venue.
- Prepares routine reports to communicate information to Board of Governors and CFO. Recommends course of action based on findings.
- Partners with University of Maryland’s Strategic Communications team maintaining the Riggs Center website and directs related marketing efforts to promote the Center.
- Serves as a direct supervisor to the Associate Director of Event Operations, Assistant Director of Event Support and Sales Manager.
- Develops and implements departmental policies and operating procedures that improve departmental efficiencies, increase employee satisfaction, and promote a clean, safe and sustainable work environment.
Corporate Sponsorships/Affinity Partners
- Manage existing partnerships with select affinity partners. Serve as the relationship manager and ensure that all contract deliverables are met to include coordination of all email/direct mail marketing, website advertisement. Be familiar with contract terms and ensure payment is received by the alumni association.
- Assist the Associate Executive Director (AED) with corporate sponsorships. Work to secure corporate sponsors and manage in-kind donations that enhance the associations’ mission/vision and programming needs.
- Bachelor’s in hospitality management, marketing or other related field, with a minimum of 5 years of experience in the industry or within an event management or venue leadership role. 1-2 years supervisory experience is required.
- Experience in creating and managing a budget and demonstrated ability to work within approved budget. Ability to develop and implement cost saving measures.
- Excellent communication skills (with a high degree of diplomacy) are essential, as is excellent follow-through on tasks.
- Excellent organizational skills and interpersonal skills, including ability to resolve disputes and observe confidentiality.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Outstanding record of meeting deadlines and juggling multiple priorities with a high level of accuracy.
- Proficiency with Microsoft and Google suite of products and previous working knowledge of Sales/Conference services sales systems/applications.
- Ability to exercising highest level of discretion on both internal and external confidential matters.
- Ability to work evenings/weekends as needed. At least (2) Saturdays per month is expected.
- Experience in non-profit or association is a plus.
- Business/corporate development experience is a plus.
Best consideration is July 18, 2018. To apply please send cover letter, resume and salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org attention Adwoa Boateng. Please reference Director of Sales position in the subject.