Associate Dean for Research
7 days left
- Full Time
Job Category : Admin or Professional Faculty
Working hours :
Salary : Commensurate with education and experience.
Web Announcement :
Associate Dean for Research, College of Health and Human Services
The College of Health and Human Services at George Mason University invites applications for the position of Associate Dean for Research. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masons academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Responsibilities: The Associate Dean for Research will develop and assume responsibility for the research enterprise of the College by providing leadership and strategic direction while managing resources to expand extramural research funding (grants and contracts). The Associate Dean for Research will work in collaboration with the Colleges leadership to support all aspects of research administration and compliance, prepare visionary projections for strategic planning, provide mentorship for faculty and students, and lead the Colleges research office. In addition, the Associate Dean for Research is expected to have substantive expertise in an academic area offered by the College or in public health, and to teach a minimum of one course, annually. This is a full-time (12-month) administrative faculty position with full benefits. Candidates are expected to qualify for the rank of full professor. This position reports to the Dean of the College.
Specific position duties include:
- Oversee all research initiatives within the College.
- Develop and oversee infrastructure and processes that streamline faculty research and funding.
- Actively manage research budgets and expenditures, including intramurally and extramurally funded training and programmatic initiatives, for faculty and students.
- Manage research space, laboratories, and core equipment for the College in collaboration with appropriate College and University units.
- Provide leadership in the development of research policies and priorities.
- Provide administrative and managerial oversight for research office staff.
- Evaluate and approve indirect cost requests or waivers and matching requirements in consultation with the Dean.
- Develop a strategy for and chartering of research centers in consultation with the Dean.
- Develop and implement strategies and policies for joint research efforts and opportunities with internal and external entities.
- Proactively monitor external funding and research performance indicators for the College.
- Proactively promote multidisciplinary research and team science initiatives.
- Oversee process of approval of all research proposals submitted by faculty.
- Review and approve study leave proposals.
- Develop and manage research training opportunities and seminars.
- Coordinate the Colleges annual research day, or other events to showcase research activity and accomplishments.
- Represent the College with its many internal and external constituents.
- Assist with identifying funding opportunities that align with the facultys areas of scholarship. Required Qualifications:
- An earned doctorate from an accredited institution or the equivalent in one of the six academic disciplines comprising the College or in a public health academic discipline. An earned medical degree with graduate research credentials is also acceptable.
- Excellent research skills as measured by a positive trajectory of extramural research funding (grants and/or contracts) serving as both principal investigator and co-investigator.
- Leadership excellence in managing large research programs and teams.
- Ability to think creatively in developing opportunities and strategies for research funding.
- Prior experience establishing collaborative partnerships across disciplines.
- Demonstrated expertise in effectively teaching (under)graduate students.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to successfully utilize online systems for managing personnel, research and teaching.
- Ability to handle and manage sensitive information, and to support a culture of inclusion and diversity. Preferred Qualifications:
- Postdoctoral fellowship.
- Recipient of extramural funding from various sources, including from leading U.S. research agencies (e.g., NIH, NSF, CDC, DOD), foundations and other funding entities.
- An active program of funded research.
- Grant reviewer and service on study sections or grant review panels.
College of Health and Human Services The College of Health and Human Services at George Mason University currently comprises the 6 academic units - Global and Community Health, Health Administration and Policy, Nursing, Nutrition and Food Studies, Rehabilitation Sciences, and Social Work - with plans to build and expand public health in the near future. The College has 7 accreditations, and its School of Nursing is ranked second in Virginia and 41st nationally. The College is home to more than 1,800 undergraduate and 800 graduate students and approximately 140 faculty and staff with approximately $6.5 million in annual research expenditures. Further information about the College may be found at: https://chhs.gmu.edu.
About George Mason University George Mason University is a Carnegie Research I institution and is the largest and most diverse public university in Virginia with more than 37,000 students from all 50 states and over 135 countries. Located in Fairfax, Virginia, Mason is part of the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area, offering easy access to the cultural, scientific, and political resources of the nations capital. Mason has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masons academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Please send inquiries to Dr. R. Kevin Mallinson, Assistant Dean and Search Committee Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position FA36FZ at “https://jobs.gmu.edu”, complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, curriculum vitae, a statement of interest, a two-page synopsis of your vision for the position relative to the College (attach as other document) and the names and full contact information of three references. Review of applications will begin October 1, 2018 but the position will remain open until filled.
An offer of employment is contingent upon background verification. George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply for position FA36FZz at http://email@example.com by October 1, 2018; complete and submit the online application and upload a cover letter, curriculum vitae, a statement of interest, a two-page synopsis of your vision for the position relative to the College (attach as other document) and the names and full contact information of three references.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Close Date :