Information Technology Specialist II
Job Category : Classified Staff
Working hours :
Salary : Commensurate with education and experience.
Web Announcement :
Linux and Database Administrator
The George Mason University Office of Computing Resources, within the Volgenau School of Engineering, seeks applicants for a full-time Linux Systems Administrator and Web Applications Developer (Information Technology Specialist II). This position is optimal for a Linux generalist interested in an opportunity to work in an open platform environment to develop and implement evolving technologies in an academic environment. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masonâ€™s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Responsibilities: The position is responsible for supporting Linux systems and Linux-hosted database servers, systems integration, network management, cloud provisioning, and Unix/Linux-based workstations used to support student academic labs and faculty and staff functions within the Volgenau School of Engineering at George Mason University. The position is also responsible for developing and supporting web and other applications used to integrate data.
Information about the Office of Computing Services: The Office of Computing Services supports the computing infrastructure for the Volgenau School of Engineering in multiple buildings spanning two campuses. Individual users include students, faculty and administrative staff with varying degrees of technical skills. The department supports individual client computers and devices, school-based servers, and centrally administered systems.
Required Qualifications: The successful candidate must work well independently and collaboratively as a member of a team. The ideal candidate must possess exceptional communication skills; with the ability to effectively communicate with a diverse population. The ideal candidate will further meet the following requirements:
- Demonstrated experience as a Linux/Unix systems admin;
- Demonstrated experience as a Linux/Unix database administrator, with a strong preference for Oracle and MySQL/MariaDB;
- Demonstrated experience using Linux-based scripting tools;
- Demonstrated experience in PHP-based Web application development and support;
- Experience in multi-platform integration;
- Strong background in TCP/IP networking; and
- Experience with IT help desk/end-user support. Preferred Qualifications:
- Understanding of software and hardware used in computer clients and servers;
- Understanding of technology used to connect and integrate computer systems;
- Understanding of popular operating systems;
- Experience with network management, including firewalls and security management;
- Experience in use of shibboleth and central authentication systems;
- Experience supporting Macintosh computers and applications;
- Experience in supporting advanced users of smart phones;
- Experience in diagnosing and resolving network configuration problems;
- Experience in an enterprise or higher education environment;
- Effective written and oral communication skills; and
- Associate degree (or combination of education and work experience).
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must complete the online application at http://jobs.gmu.edu for position number 01999z, and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information. Review of applications will begin July 22, 2018, and continue until the position is filled.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Close Date :