Job Type: Full-Time Location: Various locations in Arlington, Virginia The Arlington County Fire Department (ACFD) is seeking qualified Firefighter/EMT Recruits to join our team of over 300 uniformed and civilian employees who serve a diverse and engaged community through prevention, education and professional response to all hazards.
ACFD welcomes motivated, service minded, and physically fit individuals who are committed to lifelong learning and who will display and uphold the values of the department. Our recruits perform responsible and challenging duties associated with fire suppression, rescue, basic or advanced life support, Hazmat and/or fire prevention. To learn more about the job duties of an ACFD Firefighter/EMT click here.
Joining our team as an emergency responder has unique benefits and provides challenging opportunities:
- Working in an urban community that includes high- and mid-rise buildings, a metrorail system, single occupancy homes and apartment complexes, interstates and highways, and a major national airport;
- Joining one of our special operations teams, such as hazardous materials, technical rescue or swift water rescue teams and/or bomb squad;
- Serving in a wide variety of functional areas such as fire prevention, emergency communications, logistics, health and safety, human resources and training;
- Collaborating with other regional fire and rescue departments and state and federal agencies who are dedicated to ensuring the safety of our community and region through an all hazards approach;
- Working 10-11 shifts per month with scheduled breaks of 1-4 days;
- Full health benefits, including a generous uniformed public safety retirement plan; and
- Pay premiums for certifications and other specialty areas.
Minimum: Applicants must have a high school diploma or GED and be at least 18 years of age by the date of the exam.
Desirable: Preference may be given to applicants who meet the following criteria:
- Possession of Virginia EMT-I (Intermediate), EMT-P (Paramedic) Certification, or National Registry EMT-P (Paramedic) Certification.
Apply today if you are interested in joining our dedicated team of employees!
The primary written examination session is scheduled for August 5, 2018, with smaller alternative written examination sessions scheduled for July 23, 30, and August 6, 2018. You will only need to attend one exam session. Available spots for the alternative written examination dates are limited and spots will be filled first-come first-serve during the scheduling process. Details regarding our comprehensive selection process will be provided at the test. You will receive further instructions about test location and scheduling via email.
Our examination process is comprehensive with a series of qualifying requirements, examinations and steps designed to ensure we identify the applicants who will be most successful in this career field:
- Written Examination;
- Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT);
- Character/Background Investigation;
- Panel Interview with Fire Department;
- Polygraph Examination; and
- Medical/Physical/Psychological Examinations.
Make sure we are able to connect with you throughout the hiring process by providing us with an accurate email and mailing address.
If you possess a current valid Virginia (VA) EMT-Intermediate or VA Paramedic certification you will be eligible to receive the relative premium pay upon hire as follows:
- VA EMT Intermediate - $0.87 per hour (non-shift rate)
- VA Paramedic - $1.73 per hour (non-shift rate)
Want more information about becoming a Firefighter/EMT? Click below for more specific details about the Fire Department, this recruitment, including an overview of the hiring process, and to obtain the required downloadable documents.
- Visit the Fire Department's website (www.arlingtonva.us/fire) and click on employment info under Quick Links.