Director, Digital Strategies
Position Announcement #118010 – Director, Digital Strategies
The Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB) is a private, nonprofit corporation created to ensure universal access to non-commercial high-quality programming and telecommunications services. We invest in programs and services that are educational, innovative, locally relevant, and reflect America’s common values and cultural diversity. We encourage the development of programming that involves creative risks and that addresses the needs of unserved and underserved audiences, particularly children and minorities.
CPB is currently seeking to hire a Director, Digital Strategies (level 8). Salary $70,500 - $110,100. This position reports directly to the SVP, Television Content and Innovation.
The Director, Digital Strategies plans, executes and oversees strategic initiatives and projects that support CPB’s digital media and infrastructure investements and provides insight and analysis to the department and the organization on emerging technologies and digital media trends to inform CPB’s business decisions and strategic planning. The Director communicates and interacts with system leaders and stakeholders and outside experts to identifying and assessing the impact of changing technologies and business models on public media’s infrastructure and operations. The Director assesses digital aspects of CPB’s grants, including technical and digital development practices, and provides guidance on improvements that will enhance funding outcomes.
• Supports CPB’s understanding and management of large-scale, technically complex projects and serves as a resource to the organization by advising on and/or facilitating projects involving newer and emerging media technologies and business strategies.
a. Develops new grant rounds and projects, specifically providing insight into the feasibility, costs, priorities, KPIs, and system requirements of projects involving new technologies or other media platforms. Helps translate business requirements into viable designs for technical solutions.
b. Acts as the lead on digitally focused projects and initiatives, performing required project management activities to ensure their effective and efficient execution and completion.
c. Aids projects officers and department managers in assessing the digital components of projects and grant proposals.
d. Provides CPB with insight on trends in media infrastructure, technologies, platform, strategies, and innovation, especially related to the development, creation, and distribution of digital first content. etc.
• Participates in identification and establishment of project objectives and key initiatives, particularly related to CPB’s investments in digital media technologies as well as for related strategic and tactical planning processes, both system-wide and at the local level, to develop and enhance system operational effectiveness,efficiencies, and improvements to existing processess, systems, and organizational culture.
• Supports public media’s strategic planning efforts through the identification, compilation and synthesis of information pertaining to public broadcasting business models, techical capabilities, audience trends and strategic initiatives through the analysis of relevant available data. Identifies and develops solutions to data and/or research gaps that would best inform these
• Establishes ongoing evaluation and follow-up actions to assess the effect and/or impact of projects and strategic initiatives and identify opportunities for improvement to support and enhance their future success.
• Fosters and maintains effective and productive working relationships within CPB and with public broadcasting organizations, in order to create synergy around digital media strategies and secure and share information regarding industry trends and activities. Consults with system leaders, practitioners, and others and conevenes and leads advsiory groups and panels to solicit
ongoing insights and feedback to leverage system-wide opportunities.
• Establishes communication processes and vehicles within CPB and, as appropriate, to other stakeholders, including reports, memos, positions papers, presentations, training/professional development, etc., for sharing information related to the results of department projects and investments.
• Supports, as needed, other department projects, including research and analysis initiatives.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in business, computer science, project management or related field or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience;
• A minimum of seven years work experience in a professional level position requiring skills in project management.
• Experience in developing digital media strategies and managing projects for digital techology platforms and/or digital media and social platforms.
• Demonstrated knowledge of media technologies, including broadcast technology and webbased applications, and knowledge of media technology trends. Understanding of CMS and CRM systems.
• Strong knowledge of web technologies and the delivery of solutions with creative and engineering components.
• Demonstrated knowledge of data analytics.
• Demonstrated ability to work both independently and on teams.
• Time management and organizational skills, with the ability to handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
• Excellent communication and presentation skills, both verbal and written, with a demonstrated proficiency in business writing and analytical skills.
• Advanced business, technology or similar degree.
• Cable and/or broadcast experience.
• Familiarity with contract or grant management.
• Familiarity with the Communications Act and FCC broadcast regulations.
For more information about CPB, our programs, and our mission, please visit our website at: www.cpb.org. Please submit your cover letter, resume, and salary history to
Link Does Not Work in Internet Explorer.http://www.cpb.org
The Corporation for Public Broadcasting has a commitment to the principle of diversity. In that spirit, we welcome applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, religion, creed, color, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, veteran status,
national origin, or status with regard to public assistance.