Senior Director of Corporate Accounting
We are seeking a Senior Director of Corporate Accounting who will be responsible for leading all accounting, consolidation and reporting functions for our Hughes segment as well as other Corporate Accounting responsibilities. This role is based at our Hughes headquarters in Germantown, MD. This role will report to the SVP and Corporate Controller (the SVP) for EchoStar who is based in Englewood, CO. This is a highly visible position with a team of 3 direct reports and 10 indirect reports with the ability to expand the role and the team over time. The right candidate will also provide support and advice for matters related to technical accounting and the application thereof as well as be involved with our SEC reporting process. Last, they will assist with coordination of the consolidated audit as well as the Audit Committee materials while also overseeing the statutory audits prepared world-wide.
The new SVP (hired in March) is looking for a proven leader to take the reins over the Hughes accounting operations and partner with her to drive her strategic vision as well as the strategic vision of the company. Additionally, this role will be a close partner with the rest of the SVP's team who manage the global consolidation, SEC reporting, technical accounting and shared services. Additionally, our team regularly interacts with the business finance teams who are integral to the close process. This role needs to be a close partner and leader of those relationships. Lastly, the successful candidate will regularly interact with the Hughes' and EchoStar senior management, our legal team, the business and functional group personnel worldwide, as well as our various professional service providers.
We are also embarking on a global ERP implementation/upgrade with SAP and Hyperion and this role will be significantly involved in the planning, implementation and ultimate success of the project.
The ideal candidate needs to know exactly what needs to be done to grow, improve and scale our accounting operations and must be able to take initiative, get the job done with little or no direction and be able drive significant value and change into the business - both within our department and company-wide.
Additionally, to be a successful candidate this person must be an engaging and inspiring leader and manager to grow our team; have command and control of all facets of our accounting, financial statement reporting and the close process, excellent process improvement and systems skills, advanced analytics and modeling as well as superior presentation and organizational skills.
- Lead the GL accounting function for our Hughes segment, including consolidations and equity accounting, inventory and project cost management and all other aspects related to the general ledger
- Manage the overall month end close and operational processes in connection with related party transactions and support to the business segments and divisions
- Review the monthly and quarterly results with senior financial management
- Maintain financial records and ensure compliancy with company policies and US GAAP
- Assist with technical accounting research and application of GAAP relevant to various transactions
- Review and provide input on the Company's SEC reporting requirements, as well as coordinate the preparation and review of the supporting financial schedules in these documents
- Maintain and monitor corporate and department compliance with internal controls, policies and procedures
- Coordinate work relating to both internal and external audits in the periodic review of the company financial records as well as the implementation of agreed upon recommendations, related to areas of responsibility, resulting from audit findings
- Coordinate the statutory reporting requirements and compliance for Hughes' international subsidiaries
- Maintain best in class process and procedures for significant areas of responsibility
- Identify, design and implement process improvements, as appropriate, to simplify, standardize and streamline efforts
- Contribute to the professional development of staff and provide direction and leadership within the assigned functional areas
- Supervise direct reports in relation to staffing involvement, conducting performance appraisals, training and developing subordinates, promotions, salary increases, terminations, disciplinary actions, etc.
- Support ad hoc financial information requests and projects
- Domestic and international travel is required but will be less than 20% of the time.
- Bachelor or Masters' Degree in Accounting
- Active CPA
- 15+ years progressive accounting experience with recent experience at a multi-national public company with responsibility over the consolidated close, technical accounting and financial reporting
- 10+ years of progressive management experience
- Big 4 public accounting experience
- Possess a concrete understanding of US GAAP and IFRS - including but not limited to
- Revenue recognition and multiple element arrangements products, services, long-term contracts and lease arrangements
- Consolidation, allocation processes and foreign exchange
- Intercompany transactions and eliminations
- Inventory and project cost management and accounting,
- Complex transactions, including related party transactions and those transactions involving long-lived assets and the requirement for periodic assessments for impairment
- Recent experience working with large ERP systems (Oracle or SAP) and Hyperion Financial Management (HFM/FDM).
- High emotional IQ - very strong communication skills and a demonstrated ability to work effectively across multiple functional and business groups
- A successful track record in change management
- Been part of the leadership team for an ERP implementation
- A proven ability to show strong initiative, be decisive, resolve issues and deliver on commitments and deadlines
- Demonstrated creativity and flexibility in problem solving and project collaboration.
- Inspiring leader and manager of people with the proven ability to build high performing teams
- Loves accounting, working in Excel and getting to the right answer - always
- Superior organization and prioritization skills
- Highly skilled in data analysis and proven ability to present financial data in a clear, concise and compelling manner to all levels of management?
- Proven self-starter that doesn't need much guidance to get projects done in an excellent manner
- Superior Excel modeling skills
- Superior PowerPoint presentation skills
EchoStar and its Affiliated Companies are committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. U.S. Citizenship is required for certain positions. EEO is the law.
Apply for Senior Director of Corporate Accounting
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly