Forest Conservation Manager
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE: American Forests is focused on generating measurable, on-the-ground results that improve forest health. So, most importantly, we are looking for smart people that can get things done. We constantly look for new ways to do conservation, so an ability to learn and adapt quickly is also important.
Experience in policy, project, or program activity related to environmental, forest, or natural resource issues is required. A combination of education and experience will be considered in determining relative candidate qualifications.
REQUISITE EDUCATION OR CERTIFICATIONS: Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in environmental studies, natural resources, or forest management.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Up to a month of travel will be required outside of Washington, DC to engage with partners and assess projects. Most work will be in a general office environment.
REPORTS TO: Director of Forest Conservation
- Serve as American Forests’ project expert
- Provide technical assistance to partners and forest conservation community on how to develop successful landscape scale restoration projects using concepts from silviculture, forest ecology, conservation biology, and climate science.
- Use robust set of models to estimate benefits of forest conservation. Metrics to include carbon sequestration, water quantity, water quality, air quality and habitat.
- Develop follow-up protocols to document progress, successes and challenges over time and validate benefits
- Conduct site visits to assess results of restoration projects build local partnerships
- Develop methods for current and past projects to inform broader restoration strategies
- Use Forest Inventory and Analysis, forest industry, conservation and other datasets to inform project strategies and outcomes
- Serve as GIS team leader—developing map products and overseeing mapping projects
- Build relationships with restoration partners and forest conservation community.
- Assist in developing program strategies.
- Administer American ReLeaf Program
- Manage the American ReLeaf grant solicitation, payment, and award process.
- Maintain internal project database to track project outcomes.
- Coordinate closely with Development and Finance Departments to collect information and maintain records on restoration projects.
- Support Development and Communications teams by providing information on project outcomes, story lines and costs.
- Periodically, write blogs and other communication pieces.