Director of Civic Engagement
- Full Time
Job Category : Admin or Professional Faculty
Working hours :
Salary : Commensurate with education and experience.
Web Announcement :
Director of Civic Engagement
George Mason University invites application for the position of Director of Civic Engagement. George Mason University invites highly qualified candidates to apply for our Director of Civic Engagement position. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masons academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Responsibilities: Reporting to the Associate Provost for Undergraduate Education, the Director of Civic Engagement will open a new Civic Engagement Office to provide university-wide leadership for community engagement initiatives and civic partnerships. This position was established in conjunction with Masons strategic plan to strengthen the institutional commitment to civic engagement and community-based educational experiences. Mason is positioned to elevate our existing strengths in Civic Engagement (along with Undergraduate Research and Entrepreneurship) as a part of the Mason Impact, our new program to enhance student academic engagement through project-based learning. The Commonwealth of Virginia has also raised the profile of civic engagement by including it as a core competency for higher education.
We are searching for a professional with local and national experience to provide leadership and support for Masons institutional commitment to civic and community engagement through establishing the Civic Engagement Office. The Director will play a key role in strategic planning to leverage Masons existing strengths and expand opportunities for faculty, students, and community partners. The overall goal will be to increase the number of students, faculty, and partners participating in high-quality civic engagement projects at Mason, and ultimately, to position Mason as a national leader in Civic Engagement. The Directors responsibilities will include:
- Establishing a Civic Engagement Office and an advisory board for civic engagement at Mason;
- Working with existing units in University Life, SAIL (Masons Center for Community Engagement), the Stearns Center for Teaching and Learning, the Office of Undergraduate Education, among others, to establish a vision and strategy to enhance Masons civic and community engagement efforts;
- Encouraging community-engaged learning courses including: faculty development in civic and community engaged teaching, research and service; course designation recognition for civic engagement; recognition and resources for civic and community engaged work;
- Partnering with the Office of Student Scholarship, Creative Activities, and Research and the Research Office to support community-engaged research;
- Working with the Office of Institutional Research and Effectiveness to assess and report civic and community-based learning in accordance with the State Council of Higher Education in Virginia (SCHEV);
- Participating in campus conversations related to civic and community-engaged learning in the curriculum (majors and minors, general education, Mason Impact initiative, and study abroad programs);
- Facilitating partnerships between community leaders and organizations, and faculty, including representing Mason as needed with community partners, events, and strategic conversations;
- Position Mason as a leader in local, state, and national associations focused on civic and community engagement including: Virginia Engage, Virginia and National Campus Compact, NASPA Civic Learning and Democratic Engagement initiatives, AAC&U, VACC, ASHOKA, and others; and
- Develop additional support for civic engagement projects through fundraising and grant proposals.
Required Qualifications: * Masters Degree required; * Demonstrated record of successful administrative experience; * Knowledge of national best practices in civic engagement, community service-learning, community-based research, and community partnerships, informed by social justice, inclusivity, and collaboration; * Demonstrated experience in leading and facilitating civic engagement programs and/or services; * Demonstrated record of successfully encouraging students to participate in civic and community projects; * Knowledge of assessment of civic and community engagement; * Strong communication skills, including ability to collaborate effectively with a broad array of campus and community constituencies; and * Demonstrated potential to engage in scholarly work on community-based service and research. Preferred Qualifications: * PhD preferred
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Close Date :