Teacher - World and Classical Language (Chinese)
Is this position exempt from overtime pay?
Provides for instruction of students by developing, selecting, and modifying instructional plans and materials and presenting them using instructional techniques, which meet the needs of all students. Provides an atmosphere and environment conducive to the intellectual, physical, social and emotional development of students. Supervises students in a variety of school-related settings and activities. Monitors and evaluates student performance. Develops and implements plans to improve student performance. Maintains required records and follows required procedures and practices. Collaborates with colleagues and school community stakeholders regarding diverse populations. Attends and participates in ongoing professional development opportunities and keeps current of language trends and best practices through professional organizations and involvement.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Does this position have supervisory responsibilities?
1. Establishes clear goals and objectives related to the curriculum.
2. Plans and prepares lessons, assignments, and instructional materials, including issues/concerns as noted in the School Improvement Plan.
3. Establishes learning objectives consistent with appraisal of student needs, curriculum framework, and knowledge of human growth and development.
4. Prepares, administers and corrects evaluations and assessments, and records results.
5. Selects and uses appropriate language acquisition strategies including, but not limited to, total physical response, cooperative learning, language experience, and multi-media teaching aids to present subject matter to students.
6. Evaluates student progress using appropriate assessment techniques.
7. Observes and assesses student behavior to establish and maintain discipline in the classroom conducive to effective learning.
8. Takes all necessary safety precautions to protect students and materials of instruction.
9. Models desired outcomes/skills to enhance student success.
10. Creates a classroom environment that provides for student involvement in the learning process and that enables each student to achieve learning objectives.
11. Communicates with pupils when academic and behavioral problems arise, and exchanges information regarding appropriate behavior in the learning environment.
12. Confers with parents and students regarding progress/problems of assigned students; arranges and participates in teacher-parent or teacher-student conferences as necessary.
13. Serves on special committees as warranted.
14. Monitors and ensures appropriate use and care of equipment, textbooks, materials and facilities.
15. Maintains accurate and complete records as required by law, Board Policy and Administrative Regulation.
16. Attends and actively participates in staff/faculty meetings and provides input regarding the planning of instructional goals, objectives and methods.
17. Improves skill and knowledge base of current trends, research and methodology in instructional techniques, technology, multicultural content, problem solving and interdisciplinary connections.
18. Plans, discusses, and supervises purposeful assignments for instructional assistants, teacher assistants, and volunteers.
19. Facilitates language acquisition process for diverse learners.
20. Implements integration of technology into the classroom.
21. Performs other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made on request to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Bachelor's degree in applicable field of education from a regionally accredited college or university.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· Knowledge of school organization; goals and objectives; curriculum; teaching techniques; current trends, research and materials of instruction in field of specialization. Understanding of the teaching/learning process.
· Ability to provide instruction that reflects multiple perspectives and multicultural education.
· Ability to infuse technology into curriculum.
· Ability to work and communicate effectively with administrators, colleagues, central office and school board staff, students, parents and community.
· Excellent oral and written communication and human relations skills in both language(s) of instruction and English.
· Ability to demonstrate techniques necessary to instruct students in area of assignment.
· Ability to move about throughout the school building/facility to include floor levels, hallways, stairs and playground areas.
· Ability to transport heavy objects, as needed, related to instructional materials.
· Ability to implement techniques for Crisis intervention as needed which may require participating in physical restraints.
· Ability to monitor student behavior, respond to student inquires and requests, respond to school public address/alarm systems, and detect smoke or dangerous chemicals which may present a threat to safety.
· Availability to attend required school meetings, programs and activities outside the instructional day as necessary.
· Demonstrated ability to work effectively with diverse populations.
· Ability to effectively communicate with diverse communities and develop outreach strategies to encourage parental involvement in student learning.
· Demonstrated ability to work effectively and engage diverse parents/guardians with varied communications styles, levels of skill and experience to support their child's education experience.
· Ability to employ a variety of teaching styles to respond to the needs of diverse learners
· Hold or be eligible for a Professional Certificate appropriate to area of assignment issued by the Maryland State Department of Education.
Career Ladder Requirements
· As required by the duties and responsibilities of the job.