Relocation expenses reimbursed No
A. have a degree that included 24 semester hours of mathematics and statistics (of which at least 12 semester hours were in mathematics and 6 semester hours were in statistics). Courses acceptable toward meeting the mathematics course requirement must have included at least four of the following: differential calculus, integral calculus, advanced calculus, theory of equations, vector analysis, advanced algebra, linear algebra, mathematical logic, differential equations, or any other advanced course in mathematics for which one of these was a prerequisite. Courses in mathematical statistics or probability theory with a prerequisite of elementary calculus or more advanced courses will be accepted toward meeting the mathematics requirements, with the provision that the same course cannot be counted toward both the mathematics and the statistics requirement; OR
B. have a combination of education and experience -- courses as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education. The experience should have included a full range of professional statistical work such as (a) sampling, (b) collecting, computing, and analyzing statistical data, and (c) applying statistical techniques such as measurement of central tendency, dispersion, skewness, sampling error, simple and multiple correlation, analysis of variance, and tests of significance.
In addition, in order to qualify for a Mathematical Statistician at the GS-12 level, you must:
have one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-11 level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector, performing the following types of tasks: researching, planning, and implementing mathematical statistical projects that involve developing new or modifying existing sampling, surveying and design methods; developing statistical standards to evaluate data quality; performing mathematical statistical analysis through the use of statistical software (e.g., MATLAB, R, SAS, SPSS) to indicate trends, outcomes, performance levels, and ideal conditions; developing aspects of survey and sampling designs that ensure continuity between data collection and analysis of data; and, writing methodological or technical reports of substantive survey findings for publication or presentation.
In addition, in order to qualify for a Mathematical Statistician at the GS-13 level, you must:
have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-12 level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector, performing the following types of tasks: formulating, planning and executing statistical projects based on biomedical research; determining and modifying the appropriate statistical models for use in evaluating laboratory and clinical data; using statistical computing packages and computer programming software (e.g., MATLAB, R, SAS, SPSS) to analyze statistical biomedical research data; and, preparing methodological and statistical reports of biomedical research studies for publication in scientific journals or presentation at conferences.
Preview assessment questionnaire before you apply: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10234266
This position has an education requirement. You are strongly encouraged to submit a copy of your transcripts (or a list of your courses including titles, credit hours completed and grades). Unofficial transcripts will be accepted in the application package. Official transcripts will be required from all selectees prior to receiving an official offer. Click here for information on Foreign Education.
- - A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement
- -If selected, you will be required to complete a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report, OGE Form 450 to determine if a conflict or an appearance of a conflict exists between your financial interest and your prospective position with the agency. This information is required annually. For information, visit the NIH Ethics website: https://ethics.od.nih.gov/topics/fd.htm.
- -NIH Emergency Employee Designation: Tier II non-emergency/teleworker.
- - PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps should also apply online to this announcement in order to receive consideration.
- - We may make additional selections for similar positions within the commuting area(s) of the locations listed through this vacancy announcement.
- - The National Institutes of Health participates in the USCIS Electronic Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify). E-Verify helps employers determine employment eligibility of new hires and the validity of their Social Security numbers.
- - The NIH maintains a tobacco free work environment and campus.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
If you meet the minimum qualifications for this position, your application and responses to the online questionnaire will be evaluated under Category Rating and Selection procedures for placement in one of the following categories:
- - Best Qualified - for those who are superior in the evaluation criteria
- - Well Qualified - for those who excel in the evaluation criteria
- - Qualified - for those who only meet the minimum qualification requirements
To be considered well qualified for the purposes of the Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) and the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP), you must substantively exceed the basic qualifications by scoring at least an 85 on the assessment and meet all eligibility, physical, medical, suitability, and any other requirements. Read more Security clearance Public Trust - Background Investigation