Technician - Transportation Operations
Is this position exempt from overtime pay?
Works with contractors, drivers, attendants, and school personnel to ensure safe and efficient school bus operations to include student and personnel management. The nature of the work may require stooping, pushing, carrying, bending, lifting, and sustaining up to 40 lbs. independently. Prepares required forms or reports as designated. This is a 200-day position.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Does this position have supervisory responsibilities?
1. Oversees daily pre-route safety inspections as required.
2. Ability to operate a school vehicle in a safe and prudent manner, obeying all State and local traffic laws and Transportation Division regulations in order to assist other drivers.
3. Assists drivers with student discipline and related issues including appropriate follow-up with school administrators, parents, staff, and other personnel as required.
4. Perform onboard observations of school bus operations.
5. Attend in-service meetings and workshops as established by the Transportation Division.
6. Presents safety programs for kindergarten students.
7. Performs other related duties as required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made on request to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· High school diploma or equivalency certificate.
· Five (5) years of actual driving experience during which time a valid operator's license and certification was held to operate a school vehicle in Maryland.
· Three (3) years of experience as school vehicle driver in Maryland.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· Must have reliable transportation.
· Maintain satisfactory driving and criminal records.
· Ability to exercise considerable patience to assist personnel in difficult situations.
· Ability to work cooperatively with employees, the staff, and the public.
· Ability to communicate and write effectively.
· Completion of the MSDE Driver Training certification or demonstrate willingness to do so within one (1) year of assignment. Must maintain driver certification and MSDE Driver Trainer certification.
· Possess a Commercial Driver's License.
Career Ladder Requirements
· Must pass the annual Maryland State School Bus Driver Physical Examination and successfully complete and maintain first aid program(s) as required.