SENIOR TRADES MANAGER/LEADER (WATER DISTRIBUTION)
7 days left
- Full Time
Job Type: Full-Time Location: Water/Sewer/Streets Division - 4200 S. 28th Street, Arlington, Virginia Arlington County's Department of Environmental Services is seeking an experienced leader to perform senior level administrative and operational tasks within the control center and water distribution and pumping group of the Water, Sewer, and Streets (WSS) Bureau.
Specific duties include:
- Providing direct supervision to a Trades Manager/Leader I and Senior WSS Technician, working with them on scheduling of staff job assignments and balancing crew workloads;
- Indirectly supervising nineteen (19) WSS Technicians who perform field maintenance, construction, repair, and/or operation of water mains, water service, water valves and fire hydrants, and who are responsible for the 24/7 operation of the control center;
- Evaluating and coaching the control center senior technician on citizen calls and responding to or directing routine questions from the public, dispatching appropriate staff to respond to requests, and interacting with staff and other stakeholders such as county citizens/customers.
- Providing technical guidance and on-site or remote location training to staff members on the Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) system and distribution system;
- Using computerized maintenance management systems (CMMS), asset management systems, and/or databases to track and/or document work, and performing oversight and quality control related to requests entered into a CMMS to ensure repairs are completed in a timely manner;
- Gathering and analyzing data from various sources to determine trends and using MS Office Suite or similar software to create and provide monthly reports to appropriate management staff;
- Performing planning and project management as it relates to daily maintenance and repairs, and also for long-term projects such as the Control Center renovation, the new phone system hardware and software implementation, and the Water Distribution Preventive Maintenance Program;
- Guiding emergency operations, particularly during system operations, including assisting the management of the WSS engineering team, coordinating additional staff as needed and coordinating the work performed by field crews who are trouble shooting water main breaks and other emergencies;
- Assisting other WSS teams in the development of specialty systems (i.e., phone systems, pressure regulating valves), facilities maintenance (pump stations, generators) and specialized vendor training for equipment; and
- Participating and assisting in special operations for events held throughout the county by providing support and documenting materials for delivery and pick-up.
Note: This recruitment may be used to fill other comparable vacancies within the Department of Environmental Services.
Minimum: High school diploma or equivalent plus considerable experience as a trades worker, trades team leader or senior trades worker performing duties related to the construction, maintenance, and/or operation of water mains, water service, water valves and fire hydrants,or closely related work area, and including some responsibility for providing guidance, team coordination, or other similar level leadership work.
Substitution: Additional experience may substitute for the education on a year for year basis.
Desirable: Preference may be given to candidates with one or more of the following:
- Possession of a valid class "V" waterworks license;
- Possession of a valid class "A" or "B" commercial driver's license (CDL);
- Experience in construction, inspection and/or maintenance of water distribution and/or meters;
- Experience working on or with water mains, meters, manholes, or other public utility systems;
- Experience leading staff on multiple shifts;
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office Suite or related software to perform administrative tasks;
Special Requirements: Applicant must possess, and maintain throughout employment, a valid motor vehicle operator's license from the applicant's state of residence at the time of appointment. The applicant must authorize Arlington County to obtain, or the applicant must provide a copy of the applicant's official state/district driving record. Any offer of employment may be contingent upon a favorable review of the applicant's driving record.
The applicant shall possess, or obtain a valid Class V (or greater) water license from the Commonwealth of Virginia within seven (7) months of hire, and maintain the license throughout their tenure with the County.
All positions require availability for call-back in emergency situations (water main breaks, etc.) and for assistance with snow removal operations.
Positions require learning and following all safety rules and regulations pertaining to job functions which includes attending all required safety classes and meetings in order to ensure a safe working environment and to ensure team members are practicing the required safety rules and regulations.
Additional Information: Work Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Occasional overtime and ability to work alternate shifts is required, and all positions require availability for call-back during emergency situations and snow removal operations.
Water Distribution employees in the Control Center are subject to alternate work hours outside of normal schedule. Shifts will encompass weekends, holidays, evenings and nights as necessary to provide coverage for the 24-hour operation.
Shift A: 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.; Shift B: 4:00 p.m. - 12:00 a.m.; Shift C: 12 midnight - 8:00 a.m. Shift hours may be subject to change. Shift premium paid for shift C, 2 days during the week.
The official title of this position is Trades Manager/Leader II.
Note: Salary listed above is for fiscal year 2019, effective July 1, 2018.
Please complete each section of the application. A resume may be attached, however, it will not substitute for the completed application. Your responses to the supplemental questionnaire are considered part of the selection process and are required for this position. Incomplete applications will not be considered.