Assistant Editor/Public Affairs Coordinator
Job Title: Assistant Editor/Public Affairs Coordinator
Company Name: National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials
Job Duration: Indefinite
Required Travel: 3-5x/year
Location: Washington, DC
Min. Education: Bachelor’s degree in English, communications, journalism or equivalent
Min. Experience: 1-3 years
Category: Communications/Public Affairs
Job Type: Full-Time
Send cover letter, resume and two writing samples by July 15, 2018.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Subject line: Assistant Editor/Public Affairs Coordinator.
Email inquiries only.
This position description is intended to serve as a summary of the general purpose and essential functions of the position. It may change as circumstances warrant and may include the performance of other duties as required.
Purpose of Position
The Assistant Editor/Public Affairs Coordinator (AE/PAC) reports to the Director of Communications and is part of the Communications Department. The AE/PAC assists in writing, editing and producing both print and online publications; the AE/PAC also creates and updates content for the NAHRO website and for NAHRO’s social media accounts. The AE/PAC assists with media outreach and public education activities, and will have the opportunity to manage and grow the Housing America public affairs campaign. Finally, the AE/PAC will serve as staff liaison for the Housing America Task Force and other NAHRO committees/task forces as required.
Essential Duties/Functions of the Position
- Writes articles for and assists with the editing and production of the NAHRO Monitor, the Journal of Housing and Community Development, and other publications
- Creates content for and updates the NAHRO and Housing America websites
- Works on general writing and editing assignments
- Develops marketing, educational, and promotional materials for other departments as needed
- Creates content for and assists with the management of NAHRO’s social media accounts
- Collects news articles for use in Clips emails, social media and/or news briefs
- With Director of Communications, manages media lists and drafts press releases, statements, and other material for media consumption
- With Director of Communications, manages the Housing America campaign and the annual “What Home Means to Me” poster calendar contest
- Coordinates planning and logistics for NAHRO press and visibility events
- Serves as staff liaison for the Housing America Task Force and other committees/task forces as required
- Other duties as assigned
Required Skills and Qualification
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Excellent editing skills
- Ability to manage multiple tasks with strict deadlines
- Some familiarity with email marketing software programs (we use Informz), web content management systems (we use Drupal, WordPress and Weebly), and publication software (we use InDesign, Photoshop)
- Bachelor’s degree in English, communications, journalism or equivalent
Desired Skills and Experience
- Experience writing for print or digital media
- Experience with media relations or communications
- Experience with social media management
- Association experience, including committee liaison work
- Familiarity with Cision PR software
- Expertise with email marketing software
- Expertise with InDesign and Photoshop
Must be able to travel. Salary commensurate with experience.
NAHRO is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons and to prohibiting discrimination because of race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, status as a veteran, or any other protected status and/or conditions specified in federal and local civil rights laws. (June 2018)