Health/Science News Writer
Palladian Partners, an Altarum Institute company, seeks a full-time biomedical science/health writer to work on site at the office of a federal science agency. Palladian Partners is a creative communications firm dedicated to disseminating information about new discoveries in health, medicine, and social science to professionals, educators, patients, families, and the public. In this position, you will interact with all levels of staff and use your outstanding writing skills on a range of media and digital writing in support of high-profile projects.
To be considered for this position, you must be adept at identifying the news in a scientific publication and writing about it for the media and science news consumers as well as for the scientific community.
- Conduct research and write press releases and web content about a wide range of biomedical research and public health topics
- Interview scientists and thought leaders at major U.S. research institutions
- Work directly with clients and collaborate with other staff members
- Four+ years of science news writing and editing experience for websites and print materials
- Bachelor’s degree in a life science, journalism, English, or similar field; advanced degree in a life science is a plus
- Excellent writing and editing skills, especially demonstrated experience in writing news items and other material about advances in science accurately and in a way that non-scientists would find interesting, understandable and engaging.
- Experience assessing the significance of and writing about scientific advances and topics for varied national audiences with a broad range of scientific expertise, from scientists to clinicians, to the general public.
- Experience validating, editing and translating for the scientific accuracy content written by others, including those with scientific backgrounds and those with nonscientific backgrounds.
- Ability to work under pressure and deliver outstanding web and news content on deadline
- Knowledge of Associated Press style and plain language guidelines
- Outstanding customer service skills and excellent analytical, organizational and time management skills.
You’ll Earn Bonus Points if You Have Experience
- Developing web content strategy
- Producing social media content
- Writing video scripts and speeches
- Attending and writing summaries of scientific meetings
- Writing and editing journal articles
- Working in a government contracting environment
Palladian employees are highly talented and are encouraged to think and work creatively and strive for excellence. Palladian offers competitive pay, excellent benefits, and the satisfaction that comes from working on interesting, meaningful projects every day. Palladian’s dynamic work environment emphasizes integrity, personal commitment, and teamwork. We invite you to explore exciting and rewarding career opportunities with us.
Palladian Partners is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among other things, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a protected veteran, or disability.