Writer / Editor
WRITER / EDITOR
Conservation International (CI) has been protecting nature for the benefit of all for over 30 years. Through science, policy, and partnerships, CI is helping build a healthier, more prosperous and more productive planet.
The Writer/Editor leads the day-to-day operations of Conservation International's blog, “Human Nature,” and undertakes other writing and editing assignments as needed. As a member of the Editorial team within the Brand and Communications Division, the Writer/Editor helps ensure Conservation International’s blog remains a timely, accurate, media-rich online publication that engages and grows audiences, attracts press interest, builds a community of Conservation International supporters, demonstrates the organization’s expertise and effectiveness, and develops and broadcasts the voice of our staff as thought leaders and “go-to” experts.
Working under the direction of the Senior Editor, the Writer/Editor builds all blog posts on the site; conceptualizes, pitches, writes and edits articles; sources images, maintains the blog calendar; writes social copy for all posts, transcribes recorded interviews; reaches out to staff to secure posts highlighting Conservation International’s work around the world; and completes other writing and editing assignments in support of Brand and Communications.
Working with the Senior Analytics Coordinator, s/he is responsible for aggregating reports that analyze blog data and trends, including growth rates, time spent online, popular themes, resonance in social media and geographic/demographic traffic.
Daily blog management:
- Ensure timely publication of at least 3 posts per week.
- Ensure all blog content is in line with our mission and messaging.
- Ensure posts are edited and approved before being built.
- Build posts.
- Maintain the blog calendar to reflect the latest publishing schedule.
- Create social copy for all posts.
- Work with the web and IT teams to troubleshoot any technical issues with the site.
Content gathering from across Conservation International and storytelling:
- Work with the Senior Editor to conceptualize, pitch, write and edit posts for the blog in line with the blog strategy and project calendars.
- Identify opportunities for staff to write blog posts about their work.
- Work with the Manager of Photography to source images for posts.
Data gathering and analysis:
- Analyze, monitor and report on traffic usage, trends and gaps to identify and recommend new strategies, incentivize participation and track growth.
- Provide updates to communications division about data, and provide recommendations for more effective strategies or activities to reach goals.
- Writing and editing assignments as required.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Typical office environment.
- Some international travel may be required.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field.
- 2-4 years related work experience.
- Strong writing and editing skills, with experience with AP style.
- Background in communications, journalism or online media.
- Ability to plan and execute outstanding editorial content under deadline pressures.
- Ability to work both independently and in team atmosphere.
- Ability to understand how individual projects fit into larger strategic goals.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal and diplomatic skills in working with both colleagues and senior leadership.
- Experience with blogging platforms and CMS (especially WordPress) and analytic tools (such as Google Analytics).
- Flexible and solutions-oriented.
- Self-starter and a creative communicator with an understanding of and appreciation for CI’s mission, vision and messaging.
- Experience translating jargon-heavy, scientific information into content for an educated, informed general audience.
To apply please submit your resume and cover letter.
Conservation International is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity Employer of minorities, females, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. It is the policy of CI to afford equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment. CI offers reasonable accommodation in the employment process for individuals with disabilities. If you need assistance in the application or hiring process to accommodate a disability, you may request an accommodation at any time. If you require an application accommodation due to a disability, please e-mail your request to email@example.com and include "accommodation" in the subject line.
We expect that all employees will embrace the values of our organization.
Passion: We are inspired by nature and cherish the diversity of life in all of its forms.
Respect: We respect and trust each other, and we embrace our diversity of cultures, talents, and experiences.
Integrity: We act with integrity and are accountable for our actions.
Optimism: We are optimistic about the future of life on Earth and are confident that, with our partners, we will achieve unprecedented conservation results.
Courage: We tirelessly pursue our vision, taking bold action and persevering through challenges.
Teamwork: We work together, recognizing that openness, collaboration and cooperation are fundamental to achieving a healthy and prosperous world for all.