Sales Manager, Industry Relations
The Optical Society (OSA) is recruiting for a Sales Manager, Industry Relations position. It is an integral part of the OSA Industry Relations sales team. The Sales Manager has overall responsibility for selling exhibit space and sponsorship participation at OFC, CLEO, Frontiers in Optics (OSA’s Annual Meeting) and OSA’s Congresses and Topical Meetings (smaller meetings which include 3 – 55 exhibitors on average) as well as print and digital advertising for OSA’s OPN Magazine. The Sales Manager will need to be an effective communicator and build strong relationships between OSA and industry specific companies. The Sales Manager will need to maintain consistent communication with prospects by phone and by email. To succeed in this position, the Sales Manager must take initiative, ownership and have strong management skills. This person will be assigned as Project Lead on half of the portfolio of meetings and exhibitions each year. The main goal in this position is to meet and/or exceed revenue goals for OFC, CLEO, FiO, Laser Congress, OSA’s OPN Magazine and OSA’s Congresses and Topical Meetings.
- Act as a sales lead on assigned exhibitions and meetings. Responsible for managing sales budget, sales goals and administrative responsibilities related to maximizing sales pre-show, on-site and post-show.
- Manages each day effectively to efficiently and proactively manage his/her calendar to maximize daily responsibilities (including sales calls, administrative responsibilities and meetings)
- Make high volume outbound sales calls daily.
- Initiate conference calls and meetings (ideally scheduling them in Outlook calendar) with current and potential clients to determine sales and marketing objectives, budget and timing.
- Proactively research and identify new sales prospects, always having a top prospect list readily available
- Maintain an accurate and robust prospect list for all projects to include past participants as well as using competitive publications, websites and trade shows to identify and communicate with new prospects.
- Utilize CRM system to track efforts, update contact details and create accurate sales projections.
- Collaborate with Director, Exhibition and Sponsorship Sales to draft and email proposals to prospects.
- Provide regular sales updates to the Director, Exhibition and Sponsorship Sales, on sales and pipeline activity at weekly meetings and through maintaining renewal reports.
- Write copy and execute outbound e-blasts and mailings.
- Review and email through completed OPC meeting exhibit space and sponsorship contracts to the Sales Administrative Coordinator.
- Regularly maintain and update the web site exhibit sales pages using Kentico.
- Regularly maintain and update exhibit floor plans in Expocad.
- Maintain regular contact with committee members in an effort to leverage their personal contacts to maximize the number of potential exhibitors and sponsors.
- Actively and collaboratively participate in regularly scheduled individual, departmental, and organizational team meetings.
- Responsible to the Director, Exhibition and Sponsorship Sales for meeting and exceeding revenue goals.
- Performs other special assignments as directed by the Director, Exhibition and Sponsorship Sales.
- Ability to problem solve and confidently in representing exhibit sales staff at various OSA team meetings.
Education and Experience
- College degree required
- Minimum of three to five years sales experience, preferably event/tradeshow experience (advertising sales experience is helpful)
- Management position; does not supervise staff
- Association or optics industry experience preferred
Skills and Abilities:
- Experience and proven track record in effective follow up and negotiation skills, specifically as it relates to working within established product prices and closing sales to maximize customer decision-making.
- Desire to succeed in a fast paced environment.
- A high level of initiative and attention to detail is required.
- Required proficiency in: Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Proficiency with contact relationship management (CRM) software; preferably ACT or SalesForce.
- Experience with NetForum or other association management software system.
- Familiarity with Kentico or other web content management software.
- Prefer experience with ExpoCAD or other exhibit floor plan space-draw programs.
- Strong interpersonal and customer oral, written and presentation skills.
- Ability to focus effectively on multiple tasks at all times.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to travel required. (Sales Manager travels 2 – 4 time average/per year)
OSA offers a competitive salary and benefits. Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.