Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Qualification requirements must be met within 30 days of the job announcement closing date.
Experience: You qualify for this position if you possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-7 level in the Federal Service or comparable pay band system. For this position specialized experience is defined as working in a museum environment handling aeronautical and space artifacts such as: airplanes, aircraft engines, helicopters, satellites, spacecraft, missiles, space suits, guns, and cannons; caring for and cleaning; cataloging; creating and enhancing digital collection records; utilizing collection database to assist with digital assets management; preparing, compiling, and transmitting reports; performing collections processing by: packing, handling, moving, and storing of aforementioned types of artifacts utilizing equipment such as forklifts and dollies; and disassembling, assembling, loading, unloading, securing, crating, cradling, or creating containers/mounts for artifacts. Must have a valid driver’s license.
Must be able to obtain a Class A commercial driver's license (CDL) within the one year probationary period and maintain it thereafter.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Part-time and/or unpaid experience related to this position will be considered to determine the total number of years and months of experience. Be sure to note the number of paid or unpaid hours worked each week.
Or Education: Two full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master’s or equivalent degree related to this position may be substituted to meet the experience requirements.
Or a Combination: Education and experience may be combined to meet the basic qualifications. For a full explanation of this option please see the Qualification Standards. Special Instructions for Foreign Education: If you are qualifying by education and/or you have education completed in a foreign college/university described above, it is your responsibility to provide transcripts and proof of U.S. accreditation for foreign study. For instructions on where to fax these documents, see the "Required Documents" section of this announcement.
Special Instructions for Foreign Education: If you are qualifying by education and/or you have education completed in a foreign college/university described above, it is your responsibility to provide transcripts and proof of U.S. accreditation for foreign study. For instructions on where to fax these documents, see the "Required Documents" section of this announcement.
Please see Benefits at https://www.si.edu/ohr/benefits for a complete
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application will be evaluated first for the basic qualifications described above. The applications that meet the basic qualifications will be evaluated further against the following criteria:
- Knowledge of accepted museum collections management methodology and practices related to small, medium, and large aeronautical and space related artifacts.
- Knowledge of museum object handling and storage standards for a widely varied aeronautical and space artifact collection.
- Ability to use specialized computer programs to input artifact related data into the collections information database.
- Skill in the use of stationary and power hand tools used in the preservation, storage, moving, or transporting of artifacts.
- Skill in operating material handling equipment, such as forklifts; scissor lifts; Aerial Work Platforms and similar equipment.
- Ability to communicate in writing for the purpose of writing and documenting physical descriptions of artifacts or digital material in accordance with procedures and established standards and communicating with staff within and outside the unit.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Public Trust - Background Investigation Drug test required No