Specialized Transport Driver (4 openings)
Performs all activities required to safely drive a passenger vehicle transporting students and other authorized personnel to and from schools and school-related events; performs related duties as required or assigned.
* Provide safe transport of students on an assigned route according to a definite time schedule, which may require driving during pre-daylight and dusk periods
* Before driving, inspects vehicle and checks fuel, oil, water, lights, brakes, and steering
* Operates vehicle in compliance with all traffic and safety laws and regulations
* Exhibits defensive driving habits and observing posted speed limits
* Chain-of-custody for unsupervised students under certain conditions
* Assists students getting into and out of the vehicle if necessary
* Keeps records of vehicle mileage and the number of passengers transported
* Maintains a clean and orderly vehicle
* Adapts driving methods to weather and road conditions and installs snow chains when required
* Performs basic First Aid and CPR procedures as required
* High school graduate
* Minimum of four years of driving experience, minimum age of 20 and valid Driver's License
* Completion of Transit Driver training requirements of Loudoun County Public Schools
* Knowledge of traffic and highway safety rules and regulations and local street and road system
* Ability to perform basic first aid procedures
* Knowledge of basic mechanical principles of motor vehicle operations
* Ability to communicate effectively with students, staff, and parents; carry out written and oral instructions; and operate a two-way radio
* Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds and to lift and/or move students in case of an emergency evacuation
* A satisfactory pre-employment physical examination and a completed physician's certificate (School Bus Driver's Application for Physician Certificate, form EB.001) which is required under the provision of Section 22.1-178 of the Code of Virginia and Regulations of the Virginia Board of Education) with controlled substance testing, annual physical examinations, and random tests for use of controlled substances and alcohol, as prescribed by the Virginia Board of Education and Loudoun County Public Schools
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects or tools; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is regularly required to see, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; and stoop, kneel, crouch or bend, and may be required to lift up to approximately 50 pounds.
The Specialized Transport Driver reports to the Transportation Supervisor