The Washington Post is looking for a Senior Designer to join our Product Design team focused on Engagement. This team drives user engagement in partnership with Product, Engineering, Analytics, the Newsroom, and other departments. The ideal candidate is a human-centered designer who understands people—who they are, how they interact with our site, and what they expect from The Washington Post.
As a senior designer on the team, you will contribute to new products and features across The Washington Post's site and apps. You'll be a senior contributor on the design team and play a key role in defining, researching, and building our digital products. The newsroom is committed to bringing great journalism to our audiences - and the form in which it takes needs your expertise.
Please include a link to your portfolio or samples of your work as part of your application.
- Design and launch products and features that delight and engage The Post's customers
- Use research methodologies to uncover user needs and insights
- Gather user and project requirements to create wireframes, prototypes and final designs for editorial projects, apps, and commercial products
- Collaborate with research and members of the design team on formal & informal usability testing
- Design and specify details of user interfaces, interaction patterns and information architecture
- Communicate concepts, ideas and design rationale with project stakeholders
- Contribute to a multidisciplinary team that can include product managers, front-end developers, other designers and to develop site improvements and additions based on business objectives, usability studies and research metrics
- Collaborate with research and members of the product team to conduct regular usability and A/B tests for new products and product features
- 4+ years of experience with product, interaction, and visual design
- Experience in executing and facilitating concept ideation, UI wireframing, design iterations, and working across multiple platforms
- Ability to prototype rapidly in a variety of mediums and levels of interactivity for internal and external research purposes
- Must be self-motivated and inspired by your craft -- this role needs a person with original ideas and fresh approaches to each project
- Command of industry best practices in information design and architecture, usability and accessibility, and scalable, dynamic web and app interfaces
- Experience using research and analytics to inform design
- Advanced knowledge of tools such as Sketch, InVision, Adobe Creative Suite and other relevant software
- BS/BA in Design, HCI or related field
- HTML and CSS experience required
- Must have the ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines while staying organized and detail oriented