Pathways Recent Graduate IT Specialist (Systems Administration)
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
To be eligible for this position, you must be a recent graduate from a qualifying associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational or technical degree or certificate program from a qualifying educational institution within 2 years of the closing date of the announcement.
Veterans unable to apply within two years of receiving their degree, due to military service obligation, have as much as six years after degree completion to apply.
NOTE: Qualifying educational institution means--
(1) A public high school whose curriculum has been approved by a State or local governing body, a private high school that provides secondary education as determined under State law, or a homeschool that is allowed to operate in a State; and
(2) Any of the following educational institutions or curricula that have been accredited by an accrediting body recognized by the Secretary of the U.S. Department of Education:
(i) A technical or vocational school;
(ii) A 2-year or 4-year college or university;
(iii) A graduate or professional school (e.g., law school, medical school); or
(iv) A post-secondary homeschool curriculum.
Applicants must demonstrate on their resume that they have IT-related experience and/or education demonstrating each of the four competencies listed below:
- Attention to Detail-- Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
- Customer Service-- Works with clients and customers to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; and is committed to providing quality products and services.
- Oral Communication-- Expresses information to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information; makes clear and convincing oral presentations.
- Problem Solving-- Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
You qualify for the GS-07 grade level if you possess one of the following:
A. One year of specialized experience, equivalent to the GS-05 grade level in Federal service, that demonstrates the ability to to analyze, evaluate, and disseminate information relating to the digital forensic analysis of digital and electronic devices and accurately evaluating and interpreting information from a variety of sources.
B. One full year of graduate level education at an accredited or pre-accredited college or university; OR
C. A combination of successfully completed graduate level education and specialized experience as described above. This will be calculated using your resume and unofficial transcripts or a list of courses/course hours submitted with your application; OR
D. A bachelor's degree with superior academic achievement, which is based on (1) class standing, (2) grade-point average, or (3) honor society membership:
(1) Class standing - Applicants must be in the upper third of the graduating class in the college, university, or major subdivision, such as the College of Liberal Arts or the School of Business Administration, based on completed courses.
(2) Grade-point average (GPA.) - Applicants must have a grade-point average of: 3.0 or higher out of a possible 4.0 ("B" or better) as recorded on their official transcript, or as computed based on 4 years of education, or as computed based on courses completed during the final 2 years of the curriculum; or 3.5 or higher out of a possible 4.0 ("B+" or better) based on the average of the required courses completed in the major field or the required courses in the major field completed during the final 2 years of the curriculum.
(3) Election to membership in a national scholastic honor society -- Applicants can be considered eligible based on membership in one of the national scholastic honor societies listed by the Association of College Honor Societies (external link). Membership in a freshman honor society cannot be used to meet the requirements of this provision.
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications; applicant's resumes and supporting documentation should only reflect education received from schools accredited by such institutions. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following Website: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html .
If qualifying based on your education, you must submit a copy of your college transcript. Unofficial transcripts will be accepted. Official transcripts will be required if you are selected for the position.
Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the above requirements. You must show that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying. Please visit OPM's web site at https://www.opm.gov/qualifications/SEC-II/s2-e4.htm#e4a for additional information on this topic.
For Alternate Application Information please go to: https://help.usastaffing.gov/Apply/index.php?title=Alternate_Application_Information
DHS offers competitive salaries and an attractive benefits package, including: health, dental, vision, life, and long-term care insurance; retirement plan; Thrift Savings Plan [similar to a 401(k)]; Flexible Spending Account; Employee Assistance Program; personal leave days; and paid federal holidays. Other benefits may include: flexible work schedules; telework; tuition reimbursement; transportation subsidies; uniform allowance; health and wellness programs; and fitness centers. DHS is committed to employee development and offers a variety of employee training and developmental opportunities. For more information, go to the DHS Careers website and search "Employee Benefits."
Promotion Potential: This position has promotion potential to GS-12.
This position may be filled at the GS-7 level. If selection is made at the GS-7 level, promotion to the GS-9, GS-11, and GS-12 level may occur without further competition.
Selectee may be required to serve a one-year trial period
Selectee will be required to complete an OGE 450, Confidential Financial Disclosure Form.
Permanent Change of Duty Station (PCS) Expenses will not be paid.
Background Investigation: To ensure the accomplishment of its mission, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) requires each and every employee to be reliable and trustworthy. To meet those standards, all selected applicants must undergo and successfully complete a background investigation for TS/SCI clearance as a condition of placement in this special sensitive position. This review includes financial issues such as delinquency in the payment of debts, child support and/or tax obligations, as well as certain criminal offenses and illegal use or possession of drugs.
Pursuant to Executive Order 12654 and DHS policy, DHS is committed to maintaining a drug-free workplace and, therefore, conducts random and other drug testing of its employees in order to ensure a safe and healthy work environment. Headquarters personnel in safety- or security-sensitive positions are subject to random drug testing and all applicants tentatively selected for employment at DHS Headquarters are subject to drug testing resulting in a negative test result.
Special Hiring Authorities
Veterans, Peace Corps / VISTA volunteers, and Individuals with disabilities possess a wealth of unique talents, experiences, and competencies that can be invaluable to the DHS mission. If you are a member of one of these groups, you may not have to compete with the public for federal jobs. To determine your eligibility and to understand the documentation that would be required with your application, click on the links above and contact the Servicing Human Resources Office listed at the bottom of this announcement.
Multiple selections may be made from this announcement.
By applying to this announcement certifies that you give permission for DHS to share your application with others in DHS for other similar positions.
DHS uses e-Verify, an Internet-based system, to confirm the eligibility of all newly hired employees to work in the United States. Learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
How You Will Be Evaluated Language: Category Grouping
We will review your resume and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the minimum qualification requirements.
We will review your resume and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the minimum qualification requirements. If you meet the minimum qualifications, your experience, edu
- Digital Forensic
- Problem Solving
- Digital Forensic
- Problem Solving
You will then be placed within one of three categories based on your responses. If you meet the minimum qualifications, you will be placed in one of the following categories:
- Best Qualified: Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a superior level of all evaluation criteria.
- Well Qualified: Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a satisfactory level of the evaluation criteria.
- Qualified: Applicants possessing the basic qualifications, with general knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Application of Veterans' Preference: Category rating and selection procedures place those with veterans' preference above non-veterans within each category. Veterans who show proof they meet the eligibility and qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent are listed in the highest quality category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-9 level or higher. Read more Security clearance Top Secret/SCI