Economist (Recent Graduate)
Occasional travel - Travel may be required for meetings/training and/or rotational assignments.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
.SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
In addition to the basic education requirements, applicants can qualify through education alone, or through a combination of education and specialized experience as outlined below:
Two years of progressively higher level graduate level education leading to a master's degree
Master's or equivalent graduate degree
One year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position is defined as: applying basic economic or statistical methods to gather, analyze and evaluate information concerning national economies, the energy sector, or energy and financial markets; participating in facets of planning, designing and conducting tests to obtain and validate data; or preparing reports and charts to document study purposes, methods, premises and conclusions.
Three years of progressively higher level graduate level education leading to a Ph.D. degree
Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree
One year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position is defined as: applying and using standard economic or statistical methods and models to gather, analyze and evaluate information concerning national economies, the energy sector, or energy and financial markets; compiling, organizing and analyzing data, identifying significant variables and underlying relationships; participating in planning, designing and conducting tests to obtain and validate data and to transfer the results by preparing reports and charts.
Your application and resume should demonstrate that you possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs). Do not provide a separate narrative written statement. Rather, you must describe in your application how your past work experience demonstrates that you possess the KSAs identified below. Cite specific examples of employment or experience contained in your resume and describe how this experience has prepared you to successfully perform the duties of this position. DO NOT write "see resume" in your application!
- Knowledge of standard methods and techniques to conduct and support analysis, research, and modeling on the interactions between the energy sector, energy and financial markets and national economies.
- Knowledge of econometric and statistical analysis techniques to perform and support analysis and research on the relationship between energy and the macro economy.
- Knowledge of the principles of economic models in order to document, maintain, and run models of national economies.
- Skill in oral, written and visual communication methods and techniques to articulate analysis, research and modeling.
You must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
Economist Series, 0110 - Basic Requirements:
Degree: Economics, that included at least 21 semester hours in economics and 3 semester hours in statistics, accounting, or calculus.
Combination of education and experience: courses equivalent to a major in econimcs, as shown above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
Examples of qualifying experience include:
- individual economic research assignments requiring planning, information assembly, analysis and evaluation, conclusions and report preparation;
- supervisory or project coordination assignments involving a staff of professional economists, and requiring the evaluation and interpretation of economic information; or
- teaching assignments in a college or university that included both class instruction in economics subjects and one of the following (1) personal research that produced evidence of results, (2) direction of graduate theses in economics, or (3) service as a consultant or advisor on technical economics problems.
Foreign education must be reviewed by an organization recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For special instructions pertaining to foreign education and a list of organizations that can evaluate foreign education, see the Department of Education website.
Your transcripts must be submitted with your application to be considered for this position.
The U.S. Department of Energy fosters a diverse and inclusive workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- New employees to the Department of Energy will be required to successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify
- Veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, please visit the links at the bottom of this page or visit the FedsHireVets website.
- If you believe that you are eligible for the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP), please visit the OPM ICTAP/CTAP website for more information. In order to be considered under the ICTAP program, your application must score within the pre-established "well qualified" category as stated in the Qualifications section.
- More than one selection may be made from this vacancy announcement.
- Some positions may require completion of a probationary period of up to 1 (one) year.
- Many positions require successful completion of a background investigation.
- All males born after December 31st 1959 must abide by laws regarding Selective Service registration. To learn more about this law, visit the Selective Service web page, Who Must Register. If you are not registered and don't have an approved exemption, you will not be eligible for employment with the Federal government.
- This position is not included in a bargaining unit.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Reasonable_Accommodation_Policy_Statement
Veterans Information: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Veterans_Information
Selective Service Registration: http://www.sss.gov/
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
The Department of Energy uses an application tracking system to evaluate the responses you provide in the applicant assessment questionnaire to place you into an initial quality category via OPM's Category Rating procedures. Then, the HR Office and/or Subject Matter Expert (SME) will conduct a quality review of your application and supporting documentation to ensure you have been placed into the appropriate quality category.
Your application is rated based on the extent and quality of your experience, education (when applicable), and training as described in your resume and applicant assessment. Your credentials are measured against the established duties of the position at the grade level(s) being advertised.
The quality categories are usually defined as "Best Qualified", "Well Qualified", and "Qualified", although they may differ slightly based on individual agency policy.
If you are a Veteran Preference eligible candidate, you will be listed at the top of whichever quality category your rating places you in. CP/CPS veterans are placed at the top of the highest category for all positions except professional and scientific positions at GS-9 and higher.
If your resume is incomplete or does not support the responses you provided in your online questionnaire, or if you fail to submit all required documentation before the vacancy closes, you may be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score may be adjusted accordingly.
To preview questions please click here.