The Program Management Office (PMO) at Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI), located on the Johns Hopkins University campus, is seeking a Program Manager with proven knowledge in program management methodologies and in various project management methodologies, including predictive and agile. STScI is seeking a Program Manager for NASA’s Universe of Learning (UoL) cooperative agreement. The Program Manager, working closely with Universe of Learning Program Management Team, is responsible for successfully managing, executing and monitoring the UoL Program Management Plan.
STScI is the science operations center for several NASA missions, including the Hubble Space Telescope, the most famous space observatory in history. We also lead the science and mission operations for the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST), planned to launch in 2020 and will perform parts of the science operations for the Wide Field Infrared Survey Telescope (WFIRST), in formulation for launch in the mid-2020s. At STScI, you will collaborate with a team that is passionate about the work they do in support of astronomers around the world. We offer an excellent and generous benefits package, tuition reimbursement, flexible work schedules and a stimulating and diverse work environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Universe of Learning (UoL) Program Manager in the PMO works collaboratively with a multi-disciplinary geographically dispersed team and maintains the responsibility for the leadership, conduct, and performance of the program and for guiding the UoL team to delivering anticipated program benefits. In this role:
- You execute and monitor the progress of the UoL Program Management Plan in coordination with the UoL Management Team
- You establish, maintain, and communicate global program priorities and lower level project priorities
- You identify barriers and risk factors in advance that may impede the program and/or projects and work with the project leads to define mitigation strategies
- You actively communicate program expectations to all team members, management and stakeholders
- You identify and resolve issues and conflicts within the project and program teams
- You meet with and receive feedback from program and project stakeholders on an ongoing basis
- You work with the UoL Management Team to ensure projects are adequately resourced and work to reduce resource conflicts and overloading
- You develop and deliver progress reports, requirements documentation, and presentations
- You develop and maintain the UoL Integrated Master Schedule
- You track and maintain the UoL Budget and monitor and report on overall program funding and health
- You hold UoL team accountable for on-time delivery of projects, products, and action items
- You advise project leads on project management standards of practice, and performs project management activities as needed
- You assist the organization’s Project Portfolio Management Team with maintaining the organization’s project portfolio and pipeline
- You monitor and manage program risks and issues, and escalate critical risks and issues to appropriate levels
- You manage, monitor, and track the overall program benefits realization of the UoL Program
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Proven knowledge in various project management methodologies, including predictive and agile
- Proven knowledge in program management methodologies and leading programs with multiple project components
- Proven knowledge of technical writing, user manuals, and work processes from beginning documentation to finalization
- Proven ability to lead effective, geographically dispersed, multi-disciplinary teams of various sizes
- Proven ability to use resources effectively and efficiently, to direct a team effectively, and to collaborate successfully with other staff
- Proven ability to develop and maintain effective professional relationships and communication with team members, management, and stakeholders is crucial
- Proven ability to work in a non-profit, scientific setting with experience in educational outreach
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to plan, prioritize, and execute multiple tasks in a dynamic environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent negotiation and problem-solving skills
This position requires access to ITAR regulated material and qualified applicants must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
Note: Substitution of additional relevant education or experience for stated qualifications may be considered.
TO APPLY: You are requested to complete an on-line application through our website at: www.stsci.edu/opportunities. Please include # 02837 in the file name. Applications received by July 3, 2018 will receive full consideration.
AURA, as a leader in the astronomical community, is committed to diversity and inclusion. AURA develops and supports programs that advance our organizational commitment to diversity, broaden participation, and encourage the advancement of diversity throughout the astronomical scientific workforce. Learn more at www.aura-astronomy.org/diversity.asp
As a recipient of U.S. Government funding, AURA is considered a government contractor and is subject to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action regulations. As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, AURA and all of the centers, do not discriminate based on race, sex, color, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender identity expression, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, disability, and/or any other legally protected status under applicable federal, state, and local equal opportunity laws. The statements below as well as the requests for self-identification are required pursuant to these regulations. We encourage your participation in meeting these federal reporting requirements which are included for protection and to assist us in our record keeping and reporting. Your responses are kept strictly confidential.
STScI sees the diversity of our staff as a strategic priority in our desire to create a first-rate scientific community. We reflect that deep commitment in strongly encouraging women, minorities, veterans and disabled individuals to apply for these opportunities.
Veterans, disabled individuals or wounded warriors needing assistance with the employment process can contact us at email@example.com. EOE/AA/M/F/D/V Voted to the Baltimore Magazine Hall of Fame in 2015 – Top 25 Places to Work in Baltimore.