Vice President, Student Retention
7 days left
- Full Time
Vice President, Student Retention
Office of the Chief Academic Officer
Exempt, Regular, Full-Time
University of Maryland University College (UMUC) seeks a Vice President, Student Retention (VP) within the Office of the Chief Academic Officer (CAO). Reporting directly to the CAO, the VP will lead the department responsible for managing academic initiatives driving student success and student population goals. The VP will represent the CAO on all retention related matters and be the CAO's primary “go to” executive on the state of retention at the University.
The VP will lead the design, implementation, coordination, assessment and improvement of programs, initiatives and interventions to continuously enhance academic student services and student success. To accomplish this objective, the VP will coordinate closely and collaboratively with partners inside and outside of Academic Affairs.
- Inside Academic Affairs, the VP will partner with deans, faculty, learning designers, the registrar and others who contribute to the student experience and who are already undertaking retention initiatives.
- Outside of Academic Affairs, the VP will partner with leadership in Strategic Enrollment Management and Financial Aid including enrollment and student advising. These groups also have a set of critical ongoing retention initiatives and the VP will be responsible for tracking these projects, providing knowledge management, and communication across the University.
- In addition, the VP will play an important role in the acquisition, modification and refinement of technologies supporting retention including SIS and CRM projects, and as such, will work closely with IT and Project Management Functions.
- Finally, the VP will work closely with data and partner closely with the University's considerable data analytic teams.
With respect to project ownership, the VP will initiate and manage some of his/her own projects and monitor retention-related projects of others. Key to the role is providing advocacy, project management and transparency about retention efforts university-wide, and coordinating multiple efforts to ensure alignment with a guiding retention strategy.
Other key responsibilities include:
- Guides and directs leadership practices to foster a positive, inclusive, high performing environment that is compliant and mindful of regulatory policies.
- Implements and optimizes academic student success and service processes to drive total student retention by improving all contact points with students relating to the academic experience, ensuring cohesion across a web of student serving departments.
- Provides leadership, oversight, and direction for implementing comprehensive and innovative academic strategies for retaining students to graduation or goal completion by creating an extraordinary student experience.
- Partners with all departments in Academic Affairs as well as Admissions, Advising, Financial Aid, Military Operations, Student Accounts and others to develop shared strategies to assist students.
- Collaborates with IT, Business Intelligence, and Digital User Experience to increase use and efficiency of technology in fostering student success.
- Directs the development and implementation of data analysis, performance management and workforce optimization, and ensure effective communications and pro-active dissemination of information.
- Oversees departmental participation in cross-functional projects, to ensure project participation drives the achievement of academic goals.
- Reports on a periodic basis to UMUC Executive leadership (Executive Committee, Cabinet, etc.) the results of student retention operations and initiative efforts on the academic side.
- Other job-related duties as assigned.
Required education & experience: An earned Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning; at least seven (7) years of experience in upper level management in higher education. Must have experience leading teams and coordinating cross-functional initiatives.
Preferred education & experience: An earned Master's degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning; experience serving highly diverse, non-traditional, and military-affiliated learners; familiarity with and ability to cultivate best practices in online higher education; experience in leading cross-functional teams and gaining buy-in across all levels of an organization from senior executives to individual contributors with a project team; proven ability to lead the implementation of complex projects or major programs from vision through successful launch and continuous improvements; ability to interact and communicate effectively at all levels of an organization, including senior management, and to propose recommendations in an articulate fashion; ability to adapt to changes in a dynamic work environment; as well as an analytical and results-driven orientation, including the ability to establish and improve metrics, processes, and associated behaviors.
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.If you are an external candidate, you will have the option to create an account after you submit your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to apply to additional jobs.