Electrical Engineer, GS-0850-14
Occasional travel - 25% or less
Relocation expenses reimbursed Yes Relocation PCS is authorized.
All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.BASIC REQUIREMENTS: To qualify for this position, applicants must show that they possess a professional knowledge of engineering principles and practices through the following: Completion of a bachelor's or higher degree in engineering that was from an ABET (Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology) accredited school or that included courses in differential and integral calculus and courses (beyond first year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: (a)statics, dynamics; (b)strength of materials stress strain relationships); (c)fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e)electrical fields and circuits; (f)nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties); and (g)any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics.
Registration as a professional engineer by a State, the District of Columbia, Guam, or Puerto Rico.
Successfully passing the Engineering-in-Training (EIT) examination, or the written test required for professional registration that is administered by the Boards of Engineering Examiners in the various states, the District of Columbia, Guam, and Puerto Rico, and completed all the requirements for either (a) bachelor's degree in engineering technology (BET) from an accredited college or university that included at least 60 semester hours of courses in the physical, mathematical, and engineering sciences, or (b) a BET from an ABET-accredited program.
A combination of at least 4 years of college-level education, training, and/or technical experience that included successful completion of at least 60 semester hours of courses in the physical, mathematical, and engineering sciences, including the courses listed in paragraph A above.
NOTE: The courses must be fully acceptable toward meeting the requirements of a professional engineering curriculum.) OR Successful completion of a curriculum leading to a bachelor's degree in engineering technology or in an appropriate professional field (e.g., physics, chemistry, architecture, computer science, mathematics, hydrology, or geology) AND at least 1 year of professional engineering experience under the guidance and supervision of a professional engineer.
IN ADDITION to meeting the basic education requirements listed above, you must also possess the specialized experience listed below.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: You qualify at the GS-14 grade level, if you possess one year of professional electrical engineering experience at or equivalent to the GS-13 level performing duties that include all of the following:
- Managing large-scale projects involving marine or electrical engineering systems.
- Analyze design and assess performance of all marine electrical systems.
- Solving difficult engineering problems associated with modernization, conversion, maintenance and vessel design and construction.
The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) must authorize employment offers made to current or former political appointees. If you are currently, or have been within the last 5 years, a political Schedule A, Schedule C, Non-career SES or Presidential Appointee employee in the Executive Branch, you must disclose this information to the Human Resources Office.
National Service Experience (i.e., volunteer experience): Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
This position has a positive education requirement. If you are including education on your resume, report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. See Required Documents section for detail.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet Federal qualification requirements if you can show that your foreign education is comparable to education received in accredited educational institutions in the United States. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence with your application. See Recognition of Foreign Qualifications click here
Applicants will be required to complete questions contained on the Declaration for Federal Employment (OF-306) at the time a tentative job offer is made. At the time of appointment, selectees will be required to update the OF-306. Certain responses on the form could pose a problem with suitability for employment determinations.
If you are selected for this position, you will be subject to a determination of your suitability for Federal employment. All selectees are subject to an appropriate investigation as a condition of placement into this position. Certain investigation levels may automatically require a credit check after initial job qualifications have been met. For those positions that do not automatically require a credit check, it may later be required if the initial investigation surfaces a potential issue. Visit: OPM Mythbuster
DHS uses E-Verify, an Internet-based system, to confirm the eligibility of all newly hired employees to work in the United States. Learn more about your rights and responsibilities at click here.
Recruitment incentives may be authorized.
Moving expenses will be paid in accordance with appropriate regulations.
All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit.
For Veterans' preference eligibility, visit Veterans' Employment Resources. Veterans, Peace Corps/VISTA volunteers, and persons with disabilities possess a wealth of unique talents, experiences, and competencies that can be invaluable to the DHS mission. If you are a member of one of these groups, you may not have to compete with the public for federal jobs. To determine your eligibility and to understand the documentation that would be required with your application, click on the links above and contact the Servicing Human Resources Office listed at the bottom of this announcement.
More than 1 selection may be made from this announcement if additional identical vacancies in the same title, series, grade, and unit occur within 90 days from the date the certificate was issued.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for the application and hiring process, please contact 202-795-6255 Decisions on granting reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis. Visit Reasonable Accommodation
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
We will review your résumé and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. If you meet the minimum qualifications, your experience, education and training will be rated using the on-line assessment to place you in one of three categories.
The necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities to perform this job are:
- Knowledge of concepts, theories, principles and practices of Electrical Engineering as applied to shipboard electrical system design and understanding of ship operating conditions.
- Skill in analyzing, design and evaluation of new technological, design in shipboard electrical, electro-mechanical, power generation and distribution, diesel electric systems, automation, communication, navigation, remote control and monitoring systems to meet technical standards for new ship acquisitions.
- Knowledge of engineering subjects and disciplines to include marine, mechanical, industrial and electrical areas.
- Ability to analyze design and assess performance of all marine electrical systems and apply interfacing knowledge of hull and mechanical systems to support ship design and construction.
- Ability to use specialized, industry standard, and engineering software applications.
- Ability to use computer systems, to include development of word documents and spreadsheets, for the preparation and storage of technical documents, correspondence and databases.
- Skill in inter-personal communications (both oral and written) in order to effectively coordinate with partners during ship design, technical review, and construction.
If you meet the minimum qualifications, you will be placed in one of the following categories:
1. Best-Qualified: Applicants possessing experience that substantially exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position and demonstrate high proficiency in all of the critical competencies, including all Selective Placement Factors (SPF) and appropriate Quality Ranking Factors (QRF) as determined by the job analysis.
2. Well-Qualified: Applicants possessing experience that exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position and demonstrates acceptable proficiency in all of the critical competencies, including all SPFs and appropriate QRFs as determined by the job analysis.
3. Qualified: Applicants possessing experience that meets the minimum qualifications of the position and demonstrate basic proficiency in most of the critical competencies, including all SPFs and appropriate QRFs as determined by the job analysis.
If you are best qualified, you may be referred to the hiring manager for consideration and may be called for an interview. Your resume and responses to the self-assessment questions are an integral part of the process for determining your qualifications for the position. Therefore, you must support your responses to the self-assessment questions by providing examples of past and present experience in your resume.
Veterans with 5-point preference who meet the eligibility and qualification requirements are placed above non-preference eligibles within the category in which they are qualified. Veterans who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10% are listed in the best qualified category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-09 grade level or higher. For information on veterans' preference, click here.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Secret Drug test required No