Manager, Accounts Receivable
The purpose of this position is to lead and manage the Financial and compliance operations of the Accounts Receivable, billing, revenue postings, and collections for ASHA and its affiliates in conformity with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), especially as it relates to nonprofit contribution revenue.
The incumbent is responsible to effectively motivate and direct staff in developing and achieving goals and objectives of the revenue cycle. Responsibilities include management, maintenance and reporting of revenue financial data, and/or the monitoring of management controls and processes to ensure compliance with ASHA policies, relevant legal and regulatory compliance, and financial best practice. Also, the incumbent is expected to provide strong leadership in the application of technology to meet ASHA's and its affiliates business needs.
- Manage a team of accounts receivable specialists and accountants who process, member dues/fees, non-dues revenue, and accounts receivable (including allocations) that results in proper recognition of revenue, in a timely and accurate manner, through an organized approach of planning, training, monitoring, review, and evaluation.
- Serve as finance lead and collaborate with revenue generating managers and finance colleagues across the organization to proactively develop strategies to improve processes. Help ensure the timely processing and accurate recording of dues and non-dues revenue—providing training, expert advice, and logistical support. Work with Budget Managers and Budget Analyst in regards to analysis of non-dues revenue and to ensure that proper recognition of revenue was recognized.
- Ensure that an effective system of internal control is adhered to through maintenance of timely and accurate schedules and reconciliations for all general ledger accounts (including subsidiaries) related to accounts receivable, deferred income, and revenue, which includes a well-documented audit trail for all revenue transactions; and compliance with agreed upon Association policies, procedures, and revenue agreements.
- Serve as Finance PCI compliance liaison, work with vendors and Information System Network Service Manager to ensure compliance. Monitor industry policies for compliance and make recommendations for changes to ASHA's and affiliates compliance policy. Monitor that staff are in compliance with PCI standards.
- Manage banking requirements, serve as system administrator on several banking and merchant services. Oversight includes but not limited to: Lockbox, Paypal, Merchant Accounts, Online check deposit, Clover Mobil App, etc.
- Oversee Association Management system and Accounting system as it relates to revenue activities. Lead Finance team on system enhancements related to revenue and Accounts Receivable. Ensure that revenue and accounts receivable policy, procedure, and programming changes are effected in a timely and accurate manner by advanced testing, documentation, and communication to affected individuals and supported through ongoing system evaluation that identifies problems, assesses efficiency and effectiveness, interprets results, and recommends solutions.
- Manage the timely and accurate billing (including set up of appropriate rates, discounts, and codes in the rate file), credit evaluation, and collection of receipts for all accounts receivable, including timely and courteous response by staff to verbal and written inquiries from members and others.
- Provide selected revenue reports and analyses to other staff as requested, ensuring that information is captured in a manner consistent with identified needs.
- Ensure that all activities on which the monthly closing process and year-end audit process are completed on a timely basis within established guidelines.
Knowledge Typically Acquired Through
- Baccalaureate degree in accounting or related field
- 5–7 years progressively responsible experience in managing cash receipts and revenue functions, Accounts Receivable accounting systems, Association Management System (NetForum preferred)
- Experience recruiting, supervising, and developing staff
Scope and Depth of Technical Skills/Knowledge
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to apply accounting principles, especially as related to revenue, cash receipts, accounts receivable, and sales taxes to computerized membership and receivable systems
- Demonstrated knowledge of accounting systems and associated management systems
- Expert knowledge of GAAP, especially as it relates to nonprofit membership dues, sales revenue, and contribution revenue
- Experience evaluating the adequacy and effectiveness of management controls; interpreting guidelines and analyzing factual information to adapt or modify processes as needed
- Knowledge of Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS)
- Demonstrated knowledge of sales tax regulations
- Good understanding of the pertinent points of effective internal control
- Intermediate skills in MS Excel or similar spreadsheet application software
- Working knowledge of MS Word or similar word processing program
Scope and Depth of Non-Technical Skills/Knowledge
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve effectively
- Demonstrated ability to clearly communicate, verbally and in writing
- Demonstrated supervisory skills emphasizing organization, motivation, instruction, and follow through
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and in a team environment
- Experience acting as a resource to others to solve problems