Associate Director for Land Resources
6 days left
- Full Time
Occasional travel - -
Relocation expenses reimbursed Yes -
- The security clearance requirement is not a prerequisite to apply for this position. However, the selectee must be able to obtain and maintain a background investigation for Top Secret clearance for this Critical Sensitive designated position. This position requires drug testing. Failure to successfully meet these requirements will be grounds for termination.
- An initial career SES appointment must have their ECQs certified by the Qualifications Review Board prior to appointment and serve a one-year probationary period.
- Within 30 days after selection, the incumbent is required to file a Financial Disclosure Report (SF-278) and supplemental form, Confidential Statement of Employment and Financial Interest (DI-278).
- Employees of the USGS are subject to the provisions of the Title 43, U.S. Code, Section 39(a) and may not according to this legislation and related regulations: (a) have any personal or private interest, direct or indirect, in lands, or mineral wealth of such lands, whose title is in the United States; (b) execute surveys or examinations for private parties or corporations; or (c) have any substantial personal or private interest, direct or indirect, in any private mining or mineral enterprise doing business in the United States, except where specifically authorized by the Director of the U.S. Geological Survey.
- Every Federal employee is subject to comply with Ethics rules. Serious candidates must be cleared of conflicts that would prevent them from performing the duties of the position.
- OPM must authorize employment offers to current or former political Schedule A, Schedule C, or Non-career SES employees in the executive branch. If you are currently, or have been within the last 5 years, a political appointee in the executive branch, you must disclose that to the Human Resources Office.
- Because this position requires travel for official business, the selectee will be required to apply for a charge card within 30 calendar days of appointment.
- DOI uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
- If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, upon selection, you must certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System, or are exempt from having to do so under the Selective Service Law.
- You must meet all requirements for the position by the closing date of the announcement.
If you are a current or reinstatement eligible Career SES member or graduate of an Office of Personnel Management (OPM) approved SES Candidate Development Program (CDP) and your ECQs have been certified by OPM’s Qualification Review Board (QRB), you are not required to address the ECQs. However, you MUST provide separate narrative responses addressing all mandatory TQs. Current and reinstatement eligible SES members should include a copy of your SF-50 (notification of personnel action) documenting your career appointment to the SES. SES CDP graduates should include a copy of your OPM certificate.
Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) - Mandatory:
ECQ 1 - LEADING CHANGE: This core qualification involves the ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment. Leadership Competencies: Creativity & Innovation, External Awareness, Flexibility, Resilience, Strategic Thinking, Vision.
ECQ 2 - LEADING PEOPLE: This core qualification involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts. Leadership Competencies: Conflict Management, Leveraging Diversity, Developing Others, Team Building.
ECQ 3 - RESULTS DRIVEN: This core qualification involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks. Leadership Competencies: Accountability, Customer Service, Decisiveness, Entrepreneurship, Problem Solving, Technical Credibility.
ECQ 4 - BUSINESS ACUMEN: This core qualification involves the ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically. Leadership Competencies: Financial Management, Human Capital Management, Technology Management.
ECQ 5 - BUILDING COALITIONS: This core qualification involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals. Leadership Competencies: Partnering, Political Savvy, Influencing/Negotiating.
These competencies are the foundation for success in each of the ECQs: Interpersonal Skills, Oral Communication, Integrity/Honesty, Written Communication, Continual Learning, Public Service Motivation.
Technical Qualifications (TQs) - Mandatory:
1. Demonstrated ability and professional stature to effectively represent the interests and capabilities of USGS science programs, especially in satellite land remote sensing and data management; research and monitoring in the sciences of carbon, nitrogen, and water cycles; hydroclimatic and ecosystem effects of climate change; and land-cover and land-use change; at the technical and policy levels in activities related to program, budget, and collaborative efforts and initiatives.
2. Ability to effectively develop, plan, and implement long-term land resources strategic science directions, national programmatic goals and priorities, quality assurance, ensure the overall scientific health of land resources programs, and to effectively engage in consultation with external partners and constituencies on areas of research and the application of this research to decision-making.
This position has an education requirement. It may be filled in any of the following occupational series:
Biological Sciences, 0401: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/0400/general-natural-resources-management-and-biological-sciences-series-0401/
Physical Sciences, 1301:http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/1300/general-physical-science-series-1301/
Geology, 1350: http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/
Education completed in colleges or universities outside the United States may be used to meet the above requirements. You must provide acceptable documentation that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States. For more information on how foreign education is evaluated, visit: http://www.usgs.gov/ohr/oars/quals/foreign.html
*Time in grade restrictions and Veterans Preference does not apply in consideration of candidates for the Senior Executive Service.
*Under Executive Order 11935, only U.S. citizens and nationals (residents of American Samoa and Swains Island) may compete for civil service jobs.
*Competitive status is not required.
*Under 5 U.S.C. 3131, the SES provides flexible assignment rules to accomplish the agency mission.
*To learn more about the Senior Executive Service: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/senior-executive-service/
*Career employees are eligible for bonuses in addition to base pay increases based on performance.
*The minimum pay is $164,200. This is a category 3 position. Pay is set based on consideration of current salary and other factors.
*The duties of this position are suitable for telework with supervisor approval.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications. You must clearly show that you possess the experience, knowledge, skills, and ability to perform the duties of an executive. This information will be obtained from the application package. Verification of performance, suitability, and security information will be taken into consideration when making an offer of employment. Applicants who meet the mandatory executive and technical qualifications will be evaluated by a panel of SES members who will determine which applicants are best qualified. The Department's Executive Resources Board will review results and make recommendations on the final selection to the appointing authority.
To preview questions please click here.