Safety and Occupational Health Manager
50% or less - Extensive Travel; 12 days a month or more.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
.You must meet all the qualification and eligibility requirements for the position by the closing date of the announcement. You may review the qualification requirements here.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
A qualified candidate's online application and resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position is defined as:
- Provide technical advice and guidance to program and field management in establishing and implementing a worker safety and health program that meets Department policies, standards, and criteria.
- Manage, coordinate, and participate in the review process of the most technical, unique and critical worker safety and health issues associated with all aspects of the Department’s programs.
- Serve, as a member of committees, task forces, etc., comprised of eminent scientists and engineers.
- Consult and negotiates on highly sensitive, specific issues with diverse groups and participates in special projects for the development of safety guidance for operations of exceptional importance because of unusual, potential hazards.
- Knowledge and skill sufficient to serve as a recognized technical expert in resolving controversial or novel problems
- Knowledge of such environment, safety and health related disciplines and subject matter areas as industrial hygiene, radiological protection, nuclear safety, maintenance, and conduct of operations to serve as a technical expert
- Knowledge of and skill in communication and public relations techniques to represent and serve as a spokesperson for the Department at conferences and meetings
- Knowledge of Federal, state and local environment safety and health regulations applicable to the agencies sites and facilities.
Time-in-Grade: Current Federal employees must meet time-in-grade requirements by the closing date of this announcement to receive consideration.
CTAP/ICTAP candidates: To be considered "well qualified" you must meet all of the requirements as described in this section.
You must meetallqualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
No educational requirement for the series.
- More than one selection may be made from this vacancy announcement.
- Some positions may require completion of a probationary period of up to 1 (one) year.
- All males born after December 31, 1959 must abide by laws regarding Selective Service registration. To learn more about this law, visit the Selective Service web page,Who Must Register. If you are not registered and don't have an approved exemption, you will not be eligible for employment with the Federal government.
- If selected for this position, your appointment is contingent upon completion of OF-306, Declaration for Federal Employment, during the pre-employment process.
- If selected, you will be required to complete a questionnaire and are subject to a criminal background check to determine suitability for Federal employment before appointment.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
The Department of Energy uses an application tracking system to evaluate the responses you provide in the applicant assessment questionnaire to place you into an initial quality category via OPM's Category Rating procedures. Then, the HR Office and/or Subject Matter Expert (SME) will conduct a quality review of your application and supporting documentation to ensure you have been placed into the appropriate quality category.
Your application is rated based on the extent and quality of your experience, education (when applicable), and training as described in your resume and applicant assessment. Your credentials are measured against the established duties of the position at the grade level(s) being advertised.
The quality categories are usually defined as "Best Qualified", "Well Qualified", and "Qualified", although they may differ slightly based on individual agency policy. If you are eligible for career transition assistance plans such as ICTAP or CTAP, you must meet the definition of "well qualified" which is defined as having a score of 85 or better.
If you are a Veteran Preference eligible candidate, you will be listed at the top of whichever quality category your rating places you in. CP/CPS veterans are placed at the top of the highest category for all positions except professional and scientific positions at GS-9 and higher.
If your resume is incomplete or does not support the responses you provided in your online questionnaire, or if you fail to submit all required documentation before the vacancy closes, you may be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score may be adjusted accordingly.
To preview questions please click here.