Executive Assistant to the President
Freedom House monitors, strengthens, and defends democracy worldwide through programs that support frontline activists, research, and advocacy. We are leaders in identifying threats to civil liberties and political rights, and never in our 77-year history has our work mattered more. We seek an Executive Assistant to serve as the personal assistant to Freedom House’s President, ensuring that he is seamlessly supported, operating at the peak of efficiency and effectiveness, and able to focus on our highest priorities.
Essential duties include:
- Administrative support for the president: Mastery-level management of all the president’s meetings and appointments, including receiving visitors and screening calls. Ensure that meetings and events on the president’s calendar have been adequately researched and background material prepared and provided in advance of the event. Arrange all travel for meetings, conferences, and work-related trips. Promptly complete expense reports, advances, and reimbursements. Create, maintain, and update accurate databases, reports, and other documents, systems, and processes as required, at the full range of security levels (public, Board, internal, confidential). Oversee the president’s interns and volunteers.
- Communications: Serve as liaison between the president and executive leadership team, staff, Board of Trustees, and other external contacts. Prepare a variety of public and private correspondence, reports, and documentation, including dissemination on behalf of the president, and track/follow up as necessary. Maintain phone logs and contact lists.
- Organizational support: Coordinate closely with the President and senior staff to prepare for Board meetings, assisting in the compilation, production, and delivery of all Board and committee meeting materials. Plan and coordinate senior management meetings, off-sites, and company-wide meetings. Participate in high level meetings as an observer in order to provide minutes or concise summaries of pertinent information and develop and manage action items that flow from such meetings. Maintain general awareness and interest in the different programs and activities of Freedom House. Perform clerical work (copying and scanning of documents, filing etc) and other related duties as assigned by the president.
- 5+ years of progressively-increasing responsibility as an executive assistant providing support to senior executives
- Strong ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including effectively interacting with people with a wide range of political and social views
- Skilled in establishing trusted partnerships throughout organization; maintaining and managing highly-confidential information; using expert judgment when dealing with internal and external constituents
- Superb attention to detail, balanced against consistent production of timely, error-free work Strong ability to plan, organize, and prioritize under pressure to meet tight deadlines
- Skilled in conducting basic research and applying strong analytical skills to provide ad hoc research support to the president as required
- Strong capability to take on additional tasks when required, work independently without supervision, and to coordinate the efforts of other professionals to effectively meet objectives in a timely manner
- Advanced-level user of software appropriate for this role, including but not limited to: Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in a related field Other related duties as assigned. Preferred: experience or interest in democracy promotion or human rights.
- Preferred: familiarity with using Facebook, Twitter, Slack, and/or Salesforce for corporate purposes.
- Preferred: experience working with executives new to their role and/or organization
Applicants are required to complete our online application form and to submit their resume and a cover letter that outlines interests and qualifications for this position.
Sedentary, regularly required to sit for extended periods of time. Constantly talk, hear, and understand speech at normal levels using a telephone. Occasionally required to stand, walk, and bend over; reach overhead; use hands, wrists, and fingers to grasp, push, pull, move, handle, feel, and type. Constantly required to use close vision and distance vision for regular computer work. Occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 25 lbs. to waist height.
General Working Conditions:
General working office environment. Some long hours, including evenings and/or weekends as reasonable, to complete essential tasks or attend important events and to be responsive in a timely manner to emergency assistance requests. Travel to event and meeting sites. Exposed to outside weather conditions when required to attend event venues or travel.
Freedom House is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. Freedom House offers competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and professional development.