Park/Recreation Specialist I
Reports to 4501 Brookfield Corporate Drive, Chantilly and will go to various park sites daily. Supervises, schedules, and inspects the work of paid staff, volunteer athletic user groups, and contractors. Schedules and monitors the performance of lighting, irrigation, and other contractors. Inspects all Area 5 natural and synthetic turf athletic fields on a scheduled rotational basis to ensure that safety and playability standards are met. Inspects and coordinates the repair of irrigation and lighting on designated Area 5 athletic fields. Develops and implements site specific athletic field maintenance programs in accordance with FCPA standards. Conducts training and ensures compliance of paid and volunteer staff in accordance with applicable safety standards. Acts as the Area Manager or the Parks and Mowing Manager in the absence of the incumbents. Serves as a point of contact for senior managers and athletic user groups regarding Area 5 athletic field maintenance. Participates on various committees and teams to develop and further the objectives of the FCPA. Completes required documentation and daily work reports. Frequently interacts with citizens and athletic field user groups.Illustrative Duties General Duties
- Plans, coordinates, schedules, supervises, and evaluates the operations and maintenance of the assigned facility or facilities;
- Hires, trains, supervises, schedules, and evaluates staff;
- Plans, schedules, and conducts specialized on-site staff training;
- Completes and submits various financial, administrative, and statistical reports;
- Identifies, recommends, and writes justifications for budget components such as capital equipment submissions;
- Adheres to revenue and expense limits, goals, and guidelines for specialized areas of supervision;
- Authorizes purchase requests and invoices for payment;
- Inspects facilities and grounds for safety hazards and operational deficiencies, recommends improvements, and initiates corrective measures;
- Responds to public inquiries and concerns;
- Analyzes and evaluates service in terms of individual and community needs;
- Performs administrative functions at a facility, including budget preparation, recruitment of volunteer staff, maintenance of records necessary to the operation and evaluation of center programs, and report preparation;
- Manages operation, staff, maintenance and vendors of a Park or Athletic field mowing crew within a geographic area of Park facilities.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of recreation center and /or park management;
- Knowledge of fiscal record keeping and inventory procedures;
- Knowledge of grounds maintenance, horticulture, agriculture, or other specialized area as appropriate for the duties of the position;
- Ability to use a personal computer, applicable software and peripheral equipment;
- Ability to direct and coordinate the work of subordinate staff and volunteers;
- Ability to plan, develop, and administer recreation programs or community activities;
- Ability to maintain effective relationships with employees and citizen groups;
- Ability to prepare a variety of administrative reports;
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
Any combination of education, experience and training equivalent to graduation from an accredited two-year college or university with an associate degree in recreation, park management, therapeutic recreation, or a closely related field; plus two years of related experience in recreation center, park, athletic field, golf course operations, or community-based program coordination or a related field, as applicable to the position.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
- Motor vehicle operator's license.
Appointee will be required to complete a criminal background investigation and a driving record check to the satisfaction of the employer.
- At least three years of supervisory experience.
- Ability to perform medium to heavy labor outdoors, and to operate small and large ground maintenance equipment.
- Working knowledge of irrigation systems and synthetic turf maintenance.
- Experience with programming for lighting controls.
- Working knowledge of personal computer software, such as MS Office Suite.
- Possess or be able to obtain a commercial applicator's license in categories 3-B and 6 or a registered technician's license for pesticide applications.
- First Aid and CPR certification, within 90 days of appointment.
Ability to lift 50 pounds and walk and traverse varied terrain outside. Able to operate equipment such as: truck, pickup truck, truck with trailer, maintenance equipment and riding mowers. Able to perform normal equipment and grounds maintenance tasks. Ability to work outdoors in extreme temperatures, both heat and cold. Duties may be performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Panel interview; may include exercise. Interview exercises may include: a demonstration of how to operate certain types of equipment; a writing sample, or completing forms and/or reports.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 711. EEO/AA/TTY.