Maintenance Crew Chief
Parks and Mowing Maintenance Crew Chief: Reports to 1929 Pimmit Drive Falls Church on a daily basis and then will be dispatched to Parks throughout Fairfax County. May lead up to a three-person maintenance crew in the performance of a broad range of semi-skilled maintenance and grounds keeping tasks. Directs the work of a variety of tasks associated with mowing and grounds/park maintenance. Completes minor repairs and maintenance of park facilities, playground equipment, picnic areas, walkways, fencing, signs, and other amenities. Removes leaves, seedings, places sod, and makes other minor repairs to turf surfaces. Responsible for the mowing and maintenance of specifically assigned park open areas. Supervises, evaluates and ensures that staff has been trained in and follow safety requirements for equipment operations and maintenance procedures. Operates a tractor/bucket loader with attachments, mowers and other equipment. Uses gas power equipment. Inspects and drives a truck and trailer, and hauls equipment and materials, informs supervisors of conditions requiring special attention. Maintains tools and equipment in good working order. Completes required documentation and daily work reports. Serves as essential personnel, and will be required to report in severe weather or emergency situations.Illustrative Duties
- Leads, inspects, and reviews the work of a crew engaged in a variety of semi-skilled maintenance and/or construction activities;
- Inspects projects in progress and upon completion;
- Advises residents of county responsibility and refers them to the proper authority when appropriate;
- Estimates the amount of material to be used on a job;
- Prepares reports;
- Ensures that crew members have been trained in the proper use of equipment;
- Ensures that safety procedures are followed;
- Assists crew members in the operation of various types of trucks and equipment such as flat-bed trucks, utility bucket trucks, snow plows or spreaders;
- Responds to emergency situations including snow, flooding, and other designated emergencies;
- Monitors and reports complaints;
- In absence of the supervisor, performs duties of dispatching crews, preparing work orders, entering on-line time and attendance reports, preparing accident reports, addressing citizen complaints, etc.;
- May assist in preparing safety tailgate topics for crews and presenting safety topics at meetings;
- Inspects and reviews the work of crews engaged in a variety of maintenance and construction activities;
- Oversees and is engaged in the work of assigned crews;
- Engages in safe working practices and complies with safety programs and guidelines;
- Reports and monitors unsafe working conditions;
- Complies with safety competencies.
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Working knowledge of the methods, tools and equipment commonly used in the maintenance and construction of sanitary sewers, walk ways, roads, lawns, parks, etc.;
- Knowledge of common hazards and safety precautions;
- Working knowledge of computers;
- Ability to use tools, equipment, and materials pertinent to the construction and maintenance trades;
- Ability to follow and interpret written instructions, diagrams, location maps, and manufacturers' manuals;
- Ability to follow and relay oral instructions to labor crew in performance of work orders;
- Ability to accurately estimate time and material needs, determine when repair is not economically practical, and perform routine clerical tasks and arithmetical computations;
- Ability to maintain good interpersonal relationships;
- Ability to lead a crew in the performance of their duties;
- Ability to perform duties requiring manual dexterity and mechanical aptitude;
- Ability to work outside with regular exposure to severe weather;
- Ability to perform medium to heavy labor;
- Ability to comprehend and comply to safety practices;
- Ability to maintain effective relationships with customers, employees and supervisors.
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to graduation from high school or possession of a GED issued by a state department of education; and two years of experience in maintenance, construction, or a related field.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
- A valid motor vehicle driver's license;
- A valid Class A Commercial Driver's License;
- May be required to work overtime and be subject to 24 hour emergency callback.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check, a driving record check, a commercial driver license screening and a Pre-Employment Physical to the satisfaction of the employer.
- 2-3 years of maintenance experience;
- 2 or more years of supervisory experience;
- Experience with equipment such as: tractor with attachments, riding mowers;
- Small equipment experience with chainsaws, weed-trimmers, landscape equipment, walk-behind mowers;
- 2-3 years of maintenance, construction or related experience;
- Experience with equipment such as; skid-steers with attachments, tractor with attachments, riding mowers;
- Small Equipment experience with chainsaws, weed-trimmers, edgers, blowers, walk-behind mowers; and
- 3 or more years of experience with the repair and maintenance of outdoor maintenance of outdoor maintenance equipment such mowers, tractors and landscape equipment.
Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds regularly, and work outdoors in variable weather conditions during inclement weather both extreme heat and cold performing physical labor. Ability to bend, twist, turn, stand, and stoop. Ability to work overtime when necessary. Duties can be performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Panel interview; may include exercise. Exercises during interviews may include: completing work order paperwork; demonstrating ability to operate equipment, and tools.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 711. EEO/AA/TTY.