Intern, Data Analysis
6 days left
- Full Time
INTERN DATA ANALYSIS
Conservation International (CI) has been protecting nature for the benefit of all for over 30 years. Through science, policy, and partnerships, CI is helping build a healthier, more prosperous and more productive planet.
CI seeks to understand the impacts of agro-industry, infrastructure development, climate change and fishing pressure on aquatic freshwater systems that sustain food security and livelihoods in developing countries. To understand these impacts it is important to develop our knowledge of the ecology of the fisheries resources in these systems. The Mekong and Tonle Sap in Cambodia is critically important for food security and livelihoods as well as representing an economic opportunity and exhibiting high levels of biodiversity. Understanding the importance of this biodiversity and what maintains it as well as the productivity of the system is key to protecting and maintaining the diversity and productivity. In order to asses these factors CI is evaluating the community structure of fisheries and seeks to understand the community composition and distribution as well as other elements involved in maintenance of biodiversity with the ultimate goal of understanding how biodiversity is important to this systems well as to provide insights for other freshwater systems globally and seeks and intern to help with various aspects of this project including time-series data computation and morphometric analysis.
The responsibilities of this position include:
- Work closely with the supervisor to identify key questions and statistical approaches for understanding the data and software outputs.
- Conduct statistical analysis of fish community data as directed by the PI.
- Carry out statistical analysis using R to evaluate links between morphological data and community distribution data.
- Typical office environment.
- Applicants should currently be enrolled in a Master's Program in a field related to the project.
- Be able to commit to 2-3 months full or part-time support to the project at CI's Offices in Arlington, VA.
- Should be familiar with database software and statistical analysis techniques and statistics software. (e.g.R)
- Have an understanding of fisheries ecology and fisheries management if possible.
- Ability to clearly organize and maintain project data and results.
- Ability to work independently and to organize time to complete tasks as required.
To apply please submit your resume and cover letter.
Conservation International is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity Employer of minorities, females, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. It is the policy of CI to afford equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment. CI offers reasonable accommodation in the employment process for individuals with disabilities. If you need assistance in the application or hiring process to accommodate a disability, you may request an accommodation at any time. If you require an application accommodation due to a disability, please e-mail your request to firstname.lastname@example.org and include "accommodation" in the subject line.
We expect that all employees will embrace the values of our organization.
Passion: We are inspired by nature and cherish the diversity of life in all of its forms.
Respect: We respect and trust each other, and we embrace our diversity of cultures, talents, and experiences.
Integrity: We act with integrity and are accountable for our actions.
Optimism: We are optimistic about the future of life on Earth and are confident that, with our partners, we will achieve unprecedented conservation results.
Courage: We tirelessly pursue our vision, taking bold action and persevering through challenges.
Teamwork: We work together, recognizing that openness, collaboration and cooperation are fundamental to achieving a healthy and prosperous world for all.