Staff Fellow Research Veterinary Medical Officer
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
In order to qualify for the RG-0701-12 (GS-12 equivalent level) you must meet both the basic qualification requirements and the additional qualification requirements listed below for the RG-0701-12 (GS-12 equivalent level).
BASIC QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS FOR THE RG-0701 RESEARCH VETERINARY MEDICAL OFFICER:
Have a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) or equivalent degree, i.e., Veterinary Medical Doctor (VMD), obtained at a school or college of veterinary medicine accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association Council on Education (AVMA). (Refer to http://www.avma.org for a listing of all AVMA-accredited veterinary medical schools) OR a graduate of a foreign veterinary medical school that was not accredited by the AVMA Council on Education (refer to AVMA web site, http://www.avma.org for information about schools in this category) but meet one of the following requirements: -1- proof of certification of final transcript by the Educational Commission for Foreign Veterinary Graduates (ECFVG) -2- possession of a permanent, full, and unrestricted license to practice veterinary medicine in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States that includes successful completion of the North American Veterinary Licensing Examination (NAVLE) or its predecessors, the National Board Examination (NBE) and the Clinical Competency Test (CCT) -3- proof that the education obtained in a foreign veterinary medical program is equivalent to that gained in a veterinary medical program that is accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association Council on Education. Under this provision, equivalency is established only if an AVMA-accredited veterinary medical school or college accepts the graduate's final transcript from the foreign veterinary medical school at full value for placement into an advanced degree, postgraduate educational program, or training program (e.g. residency or graduate program).
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS FOR THE RG-0701 (GS-12 EQUIVALENT LEVEL) RESEARCH VETERINARY MEDICAL OFFICER:
Have one year professional experience that includes research experience with large and small animals (research experience with aquatic animals is desirable), operating analytical instruments (e.g., spectrometers, thermocyclers, flow cytometers, bioanalytical devices, microtiter plates readers, chromatographs) and prioritizing research goals, prepare protocols, and writing standard operating procedures (SOPs).
OR have a master's degree in an area of specialization, including but not limited to, animal science, avian medicine, food safety, infectious diseases, veterinary clinical sciences, pathobiology, biomedical sciences, veterinary anatomy, veterinary preventive medicine, comparative biological sciences, epidemiology, veterinary parasitology, molecular veterinary biosciences, public health, microbiology, pathology, immunology, laboratory animal medicine, toxicology, wildlife, zoological animal medicine, or sciences related to the work of a veterinary medical officer position. (Must submit transcripts to support dual degree)
OR have successfully completed two years of an internship, residency program, or fellowship training program in a discipline related to the position. (Must submit supporting documentation.) If qualifying based on experience, this experience must be reflected in your resume. Volunteer experience can also be used as qualifying experience.
A current valid veterinary license from one of the 50 U.S. states that allows for practice of veterinary medicine is desired but not required to qualify for this position.
Political Appointees: If you are serving, or have served in the last 5 years (from 01/19/2018) as an Executive Branch political, Schedule C, or Non-career SES appointee, HHS/FDA may be required to obtain approval by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) prior to beginning employment. You can find out if you have held one of these appointment types by looking at your Standard Form 50s in your Electronic Official Personnel Folder (eOPF), in Section 5 where the legal authorities are listed. If you have served or are currently serving, you must provide a copy of your SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, documenting this appointment. In addition, you will be required to respond to the question in the assessment and certify your responses to the questionnaire. See the OPM page Political Appointees FAQ for more.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit the U.S. Department of Education website for Foreign Education Evaluation.
Additional Conditions of Employment:
- Security and Background Requirements: This position requires a Secret Security Clearance. If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication of a Secret Clearance. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualification is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action. Failure to obtain and maintain the required level of clearance may result in the withdrawal of a position offer or removal.
- E-Verify: The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant. If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system.
- Financial disclosure statement may be required. FDA inspires public confidence by maintaining high ethical principles, and all Federal Government employees are subject to the conflict of interest statutes and regulations, including the Standards of Ethical Conduct, that govern activities with outside organizations and reporting financial holdings. Certain positions within the FDA are subject to strict restrictions on financial holdings (FDA regulated financial holdings). The Ethics in Government Act, PL 95-521 also requires the applicant selected for this position to submit a Public Financial Disclosure Report, OGE-278, prior to assuming this position, annually, and upon termination of employment. To determine how this position is affected, applicants are advised to seek additional information during the interview process from the Ethics and Integrity Staff, Division Management Programs at (301) 796-8435 prior to accepting such a position.
- Prohibited financial interests restrictions apply: Employees designated as public or confidential filers, and their spouse or minor children, may not hold financial interests in FDA significantly regulated organizations.
- Outside activity restrictions apply: Requests for approval of outside activities may be required prior to participation n certain outside activities and outside employment. Employees designated public or confidential filers may not have outside activity, unpaid or paid, with FDA significantly regulated organizations.
- Relocation and travel expense reimbursement: NO
- Incentives may be authorized; however, this is contingent upon funds availability. If authorized, certain incentives will require you to sign a service agreement to remain in the Federal government for a period of up to 3 years. Note: This statement does not imply nor guarantee an incentive will be offered and paid. Incentives include the following: moving expenses, recruitment or relocation incentive; student loan repayment, superior qualifications appointment, creditable service for annual leave for prior non-federal work experience or prior uniformed military service, etc.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the job opportunity announcement closes (at 11:59 pm ET on 06/19/2018, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be conducted, the information will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your eligibility for Federal employment, and then whether or not you are qualified for this particular position. See the USAJOBS help article "What is the difference between eligibility and qualifications?" for more...
Qualification determinations will be based on the information provided in your application and the requirements of the position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Structured interviews; applicants may be asked scenario-based interview questions concerning core competencies.
Method/tools used to evaluate applicants: work samples, conducting a presentation, reference checks, tests may be used.
To preview the assessment questionnaire, click this link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10222415