Teacher Assistant, STEP
The STEP Assistant Teacher assists the teacher by performing instructional duties, preparing classroom materials, supervising student behavior, learning and applying specific behavior management techniques, performing clerical duties, administering literacy assessments, and providing assistance with personal hygiene and physical care needs as required.
The work is performed under the guidance and supervision of the teacher.
* Provides individual and group instruction on activities as instructed; implements lesson plans with the teacher.
* Prepares the classroom for meals and activities, assists students on and off the bus, prepares meal counts for the cafeteria staff, and performs clerical tasks, as assigned.
* Collects data and records anecdotal student observations; record keeping and documentation for all information related to each student and family.
* In collaboration with the STEP Teacher, implements behavior modification plans in accordance with the STEP program philosophy and monitors students' safety.
* Supports the administration of literacy assessments to students.
* Performs related work as required.
* A minimum of a High School Diploma and an Early Childhood credential, or experience working with preschool age children
* Experience in working with diverse cultures
* Bi-lingual preferred, but not required
* Demonstrates effective oral and written communication skills
* Demonstrates strong organizational skills
* Must be trustworthy and dependable
The STEP Assistant Teacher is responsible to the STEP Teacher and to the Head Start/STEP Program Supervisor.