Island Press seeks an extremely organized and detail-oriented Development Coordinator to join the Development and Communications Department. This position plays an integral role in the organization by ensuring a meaningful donor experience and facilitating effective fundraising. You will coordinate with all levels of the organization including senior management and the board of directors. This position is perfect for building on your prior experience in a non-profit organization, and expanding your knowledge and skills in communications and fundraising.
Essential Responsibilities & Duties
DONOR RELATIONS (50%)
- Works with Development team in executing annual fundraising plan for individuals and foundations
- Assists with writing donor communications (proposals and reports, newsletters, emails, etc.)
- Prepares funding proposals and reports for submission, including gathering supporting documents and communicating with internal staff to collect updates relevant to the grant
- Produces and mails donor letters and enclosures, paying close attention to accuracy, quality, and timing
- Updates and maintains fundraising work plan with all proposal and reporting deadlines and income projections
- Implements and fulfills benefits for donor giving society
- Updates and maintains fundraising web content
- Identifies and researches prospective donors and foundations, in preparation for meetings and/or solicitation efforts
- Compiles confidential reports on prospects for staff and board
EVENT PLANNING (10%)
- Coordinates logistics for bi-annual Board of Directors meetings and events
- Assists in the coordination of fundraising events including logistics and follow up, drafting and sending invitations, and travel arrangements
GENERAL AND ADMINISTRATIVE (25%)
- Updates and maintains accuracy of donor database (eTapestry), including gift entry, meeting notes, and acknowledgements
- Supports President, Board, and Director of Development in fundraising efforts, including travel planning and drafting of correspondence
- Manages general administrative tasks for the Development department including expense and credit card reports, travel, scheduling
- Prepares agendas and meeting minutes when needed
- Writes and submits regular updates from Development to internal staff
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
The ideal candidate will have achieved a four year degree in a related field or have equivalent professional experience in a similar or subordinate role. Candidates with one to three years of professional experience with fundraising, customer service, or marketing will receive preference.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
This position requires a candidate with excellent organizational skills, proven writing and copyediting skills, and a keen attention to detail. Successful candidates will be able to interact with all levels of the organization in a professional manner, manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment, and exercise mature judgment and discretion in handling sensitive donor information.
Candidates must have proficiency in Microsoft Office and database programs.
Compensation & Benefit
Annual salary commensurate with experience and qualifications. Medical, vision, dental, disability, retirement, commuting, paid leave, fitness center.
Island Press is an equal employment opportunity employer that is committed to promoting a workplace as diverse as the environment it is committed to protecting. We encourage applications from qualified individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, political association, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
To apply, send cover letter and résumé and mention where you first learned of this position. No calls or recruiters please.