Curriculum Development Assistant
This position is classified as non-exempt and in accordance with the Federal regulations is eligible for overtime pay for hours worked in excess of forty (40) hours per week. Note: Overtime must be pre-approved and time off from work either paid or unpaid is not considered in determining hours worked in a week.
Other Performance Measures:
Successful performance on the job requires following safety guidelines and policies to reduce accident or injury to self or students, school dress standards, proper attendance and leave policies and compliance with other policies set forth in the Employee Handbook. Creativity, initiative and effective problem solving is also important to the success of the incumbent.
Examples of Essential Functions
- Completes assigned tasks as directed by the Director of Curriculum and Instruction.
- Assists in material and lesson development (ex: individual skills, theme-based lessons, structured learning tasks, adapted books and student specific materials).
- Assists in classroom set-up, including learning labs, group and individual learning spaces.
- Assists in developing and training staff on the use of individual student schedules, and implementation of materials, teaching strategies and data collection.
- Assist teachers with development and implementation of short and long term projects.
- Assists with development of Reggio Emilia–based documentation in the houses.
- Assists in the set-up and maintenance of structured set-up in classrooms and around the school environment.
- Inventories and assists in maintenance of curriculum resources and retrieves resources for teachers as needed.
- Develops and implements paraprofessional development workshops.
- Assists in documentation of theme-based instruction, project-based learning and special activities through taking pictures and videos.
- Works as needed in teams with teachers, therapists and paraprofessionals.
- Supports and reinforces the positive behavior philosophy at all times.
- Actively participates in all required meetings.
- Supports the overall mission and philosophy of the school.
- Serves on a committee.
- Maintain confidentiality of parent, student and staff personal identifiable information.
- Essential functions of this position as described herein require the ability to exert moderate physical effort in light work, typically involving some combination of bending, stooping, squatting, reaching, kneeling, crouching, crawling and brisk walking, and which may involve lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of moderate weight (45 lbs.).
- Most tasks require oral communication, visual and hearing perception, and the ability to get around the classrooms, cafeteria, gym, campus, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to implement and instruct others in the implementation of curriculum and instructional techniques and data collection.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate verbally and in writing.
- Considerable patience and ability to work effectively with children, young adults, and faculty members.
- Most tasks require visual perception and discrimination. Some tasks require oral communications ability. Some tasks require the ability to perceive and discriminate sounds
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions and to perform all required tasks.
- Successful completion of the required training courses within a specified period of time
- Tuberculosis screening to assure no significant risk to the health and safety of others.
- Successfully passing a criminal background investigation and pre-employment and random drug screening.
Examples of Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge and understanding of child growth and development.
- Knowledge of positive behavior support intervention techniques.
- Some knowledge of safety practices and procedures.
- Ability to participate in monitoring and ensuring appropriate implementation of instruction and data collection.
- Ability to read, interpret, and follow safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence using English grammar and spelling.
Desired Educational Requirements
Bachelor’s degree required