Nearly one billion people currently do not have enough to eat. The demand for food is projected to increase 70 percent by 2050 as the population grows to an expected nine billion. An often overlooked solution to this problem is our oceans. A fully productive ocean could provide one nutritious meal a day for 700 million people, or 13 to 15 percent of the animal protein produced on the entire planet. Moreover, wild-caught ocean fish uses no land, needs negligible amounts of water, is the lowest cost per pound to obtain, and provides human health benefits.
Unfortunately, ocean productivity is drastically declining due to overfishing, destructive fishing practices, marine habitat loss and pollution. If action is not taken to reverse this trend now, wild seafood may soon disappear as a major food source for a hungry planet. There is good news, however: restoring wild seafood is achievable and there are many examples of fish rebounding under science-based management, which is also surprisingly feasible. Science gives us clear direction about how to manage fish recovery. Fish will recover if we –
· Set reasonable fishing quotas and reduce industrial overfishing.
· Reduce bycatch (the incidental catch of non-targeted animals).
· Protect marine habitat, both in preserving biodiversity and ecosystem health, as well as from the harmful effects of marine pollution.
Oceana is headquartered in Washington, DC and has offices in New York City, NY; Juneau, AK, Portland, OR, Monterey, CA, City of Belmopan, Belize; Brussels, Belgium; Brasilia, Brazil; Santiago, Chile; Copenhagen, Denmark; Lima, Peru; Manila, Philippines; Madrid, Spain; Mexico City, Mexico. The legal entities in Belize, Brazil, Spain, and the United Kingdom follow the host country’s regulations and, as a result, are incorporated as independent entities. Oceana boasts a worldwide staff of 230 full time professionals and an annual operating budget of approximately $47 million dollars.
Oceana is a fast-growing, dynamic, international organization. We seek an experienced Staff Accountant who, as part of the Finance and Accounting Department, will contribute to the delivery of timely, relevant and accurate financial information. Ability to work independently without close supervision, manage complexity, identify and solve problems with a fair degree of resiliency is required. They will lead the maintenance of accounting records in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles. The Staff Accountant will also supervise the disbursement process and perform treasury functions. This position reports to the Accounting Manager and is based in Washington, DC.
The Staff Accountant position is responsible for the effective performance of various accounting functions, including bank reconciliations, journal entries, analysis of general ledger accounts, enforcement of internal policies and conducting organizational staff trainings. The Staff Accountant verifies the reliable and timely preparation of internal and external reports related to their areas of responsibility. They will also be expected to be a resource to other staff accountants and clerical staff.
Principal Duties, Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
· Process invoices, vendor payments and employee reimbursements. Verify expenditures are coded to proper accounts.
· Enter wire payments in the bank system and follow-up to ensure approval.
· Deposit checks and reconcile revenue in CRM system to general ledger.
· Manage the distribution and termination process for corporate credit cards.
· Maintain accounts payable reports, spreadsheets and corporate accounts payable files.
· Assist with processing of semi-monthly payroll.
· Post journal entries for accrued expenses and revenue.
· Analyze and reconcile bank statements and general ledgers; correct errors by posting adjusting journal entries as needed.
· Maintain and record fixed assets and related depreciation.
· Complete requested materials and assist in preparing schedules for the annual audit.
· Prepare special reports; completes special projects. Perform other duties as assigned.
· Maintain accounting controls by following policies and procedures; comply with federal, state, and local financial legal requirements.
· Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities and reading professional publications.
· Responsible for preparing audit work papers and compiling PBC lists provided by auditors.
· Conduct regular trainings to non-accountants to ensure that personnel are well informed of changes in programs, policies, and procedures, related to areas of responsibility.
· Run reports and queries from financial, payroll and time tracking systems.
· Comply with local, state and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings and ensure all returns are filed timely and accurately.
· Other duties as assigned.
Job Requirements, Education and Work Experience:
· Reliable team player who contributes to a productive working environment with other employees to meet organizational goals.
· Well-developed written and oral communication and interpersonal skills.
· Excellent attention to detail.
· Strong analytical skills and problem solving skills utilizing Microsoft office products.
· Able to effectively prioritize multiple responsibilities in a faced paced environment and perform them with speed, accuracy and courtesy.
· Possess a strong understanding about the nuances of team dynamics, and know how their words and actions impact others; and exercise good judgment to help them deal with others in an effective way.
· Able to maintain the highest level of confidentiality regarding payroll and other confidential information.
· Able to commit to the mission and goals of Oceana.
Education & Experience
· Undergraduate degree in accounting required.
· At least two years of relevant progressive accounting experience.
· Experience utilizing complex ERP and ledger system.
· Demonstrated knowledge and experience applying United States Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), laws, regulations, and internal policies related to their areas of responsibility.
To Apply: Please attach a copy of your cover letter to your resume.