Manager II (Chief, Facilities Management) Grade M2
Montgomery County, MD Government
Department of General Services
$88,388 - $160,454
Montgomery County Government is seeking a highly qualified individual for the position of Division Chief in the Department of General Services (DGS), Division of Facilities Management. The successful applicant will be responsible for providing organizational leadership and management; fiscal oversight; planning and operational implementation; strategic business management; and, significant policy development to achieve County objectives related to its facilities. We are seeking an individual with superior written and verbal communication skills. The incumbent will represent the Department at meetings with elected officials, boards, commissions, and community groups and will advise executive officials on best practices in facility management. This candidate should exhibit a thorough knowledge of best practices, trends and developments in public and private sector facility management issues. The incumbent in this position will apply significant customer service focus, recognizing that the Division's mission is to help its customers achieve successful outcomes.
The Division provides for the comprehensive planning and delivery of daily maintenance services at over 400 County-owned and County-leased facilities, including mini-renovations, and oversight of building-related operations at County facilities used by County staff and residents.
It is expected the ideal candidate possess experience commensurate with the following duties, which will include:
• Protecting and enhancing the value and utilization of County investments in buildings and grounds by assuring the continued availability of County facilities through the planning, direction, and management of maintenance programs. This includes preventive, corrective and predictive maintenance of building systems: electrical, mechanical, heating, ventilation, air conditioning, vertical transportation, housekeeping, grounds maintenance recycling, and snow removal.
• Utilizing staff, and administering contracts, to support an organization with over 400 buildings, comprising over ten 10 million square feet, undeveloped real estate, and other County assets.
• Providing advice, support and planning to County Departments on facility maintenance issues; Overseeing supervision of all facilities management functions including in-house staff, vendor management, project management, facility administration, building inspections, building/equipment repairs and emergency response to inclement weather events year-round;
• Coordinating and directing the Division's response to weather related incidents as well as response to emergency situations requiring assistance;
• Directing a diverse workforce in a union/non-union environment in which the staff consists of skilled and unskilled trades, professional and nonprofessional staff. As a manager/supervisor of unionized employees, this position has a responsibility for fostering a positive labor relations environment based on mutual trust, respect, and, cooperation.
• Providing direct supervision of five positions: two Deputy Chiefs; one Program Manager; one Management and Budget Specialist, one IT staff
All resume submissions must address the preferred criteria for the position which are located in the full advertisement.
Experience: Seven years of progressively responsible professional experience in organizational management or in the fields of facilities and asset management, three years of which were in a supervisory or executive capacity. Note: The term "executive" is further defined as a high echelon or high level position in an organization that is assigned technical research, management advisory services responsibilities, or policy-making duties and responsibilities that exerts considerable influence on organizational policy, plans, and operations through technical research, management advisory services, and/or policy-making duties and responsibilities (e.g., County positions at Grade 30 or above).
Education: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's Degree.
Equivalency: An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted.
A complete job summary is available in the full advertisement.
This Recruitment Closes June 19, 2018
To view the full job posting and submit an application, please visit our website at
Click on “Apply Now” and click on “Search Jobs” then search under the
“General Professional” job category, IRC31664
Interested candidates must create an account in order to submit a resume.