Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
- Bachelor's or graduate/higher level degree in the fields of dietetics, food, nutrition, food service management, institution management, or related science. The educational program must have been accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND), or an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education at the time the degree was obtained. For dietitian positions, the curriculum must have been in accordance with the qualifying requirements established by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND) (formerly American Dietetic Association (ADA) prior to January 1, 2012) in effect at the time of graduation.
- Completion of a coordinated undergraduate program, internship, or other clinical component approved by AND (formerly ADA) for dietitians or nutritionists.
- Professional registration as a Registered Dietitian (RD) or Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN).
Click on the following link to view the Individual Occupational Requirements for this position:
In addition to meeting the Individual Occupational Requirements listed in the above link, applicants must have specialized experience and/or directly related education in the amounts shown below:
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE FOR GS-09: At least one (1) year of specialized experience at the next lower grade (GS-07) or equivalent. Specialized is experience which may have been gained while evaluating nutritional assessments, reviewing and interprets pertinent diagnostic and treatment data, and developing, implementing and monitoring a nutritional care plan; reviewing and calculating modified diets to meet the special dietary needs of those patients requiring nutrition intervention. Experience may include documenting the nutritional status, nutrient intake, nutritional education, and other pertinent data; participating in health care team rounds and treatment and discharge planning conferences, is recognized as the nutrition expert, evaluating nutritional care, and providing follow-up for continuity of care after discharge.
EDUCATION: 2 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's degree or master's or equivalent graduate degree OR a combination of education and experience.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE FOR GS-11: At least one (1) year of specialized experience at the next lower grade (GS-09) or equivalent. Specialized experience is experience planning, budgeting, coordinating, implementing, conducting, tracking and evaluating Health and Wellness Center (HAWC). Develops and provides general nutrition, specific diets, and disease implications and therapies base on community and individual health risk assessment results, high volume and cost effectiveness.
EDUCATION: 3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree or Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree in a related field OR a combination of education and experience.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE FOR GS-12: At least one (1) year of specialized experience at the next lower grade (GS-11) or equivalent. Specialized experience to in professional knowledge of the principles, practices, and procedures of the field of dietetics required to direct the activities of the department, provide guidance to subordinates, and provide advice to hospital staff; knowledge of the principles of management required to establish objectives, and to control and coordinate activities; ability to administer the program and maintain sound working relationships; knowledge of the medical functions of the hospital to coordinate activities.
NOTE: There is no substitution of education for specialized experience at the GS-12 level.
To view qualifying educational requirements and/or combination of education and specialized experience click on the following link:
NOTE: Employees currently assigned to positions in this occupational series as of September 2017 will be considered to have met the basic requirements for the position occupied.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs): Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas:
1. Knowledge of the principles and practices of clinical dietetics and medical nutrition therapy for patients with complex medical conditions in order to plan, develop, and coordinate medical nutrition therapy intervention, interdisciplinary care plans, and nutrition education activities.
2. Knowledge of complex areas of clinical nutrition including management of critically ill and malnourished patients, and ability to apply medical nutrition therapy to patients with multiple co-morbidities.
3. Ability to act as a mentor/consultant for health care providers including registered dietitians, dietetic interns, physicians, medical students, and allied health professionals.
This announcement may be used to fill one or more vacancies.
Duties and responsibilities vary and may increase according to grade level.
This public notice may be used to fill target grades (e.g. GS-09 Target GS-12).
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE: Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
IF USING EDUCATION TO QUALIFY: You MUST provide transcripts to support your educational claims. Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible click here. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated in the "Highly Qualified" or "Best Qualified" Category on the rating criteria for this vacancy. You must submit a copy of the agency notice, your most recent performance rating, and your most recent SF-50 noting position, grade level, and duty location.
Employed Annuitants (Reemployed Annuitants): Applicants in receipt of an annuity based on civilian employment in the Federal Service are subject to the DoD Policy on The Employment of Annuitants. Click here for more information.
Temporary and Term Appointments: If you are selected for a temporary or term position in the competitive service, your appointment may be extended to the maximum period allowed by law without further competition. Additionally, if you are serving on a term appointment in the competitive service, you may be converted to a career or career-conditional appointment without further competition. NOTE: Current federal civilian employees may apply for this position and if selected, a break in service of at least 3 days may be required prior to appointment to this position.
Selective Service: Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service. For additional information, click here.
Direct Deposit: All federal employees are required to have direct deposit.
If you have questions regarding this announcement and have hearing or speech difficulties click here.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your latest resume will be used to determine your qualifications.
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
Your responses to the questionnaire may be compared to the documents you submit. The documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "insufficient information" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
Applicants who disqualify themselves will not be evaluated further.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your Resume (your latest resume will be used to determine your qualifications)
- If you submit more than one copy of your resume, only the most recent (latest) version will be reviewed. The latest timestamp will be used to determine which version of your resume is "most recent." It is your responsibility to check the status and timestamp of all documents you submit as part of your application.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, you will not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualification determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and dates of employment (i.e., hours per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as insufficient and you will not receive consideration for this position.
3. Additional Required Documents (see Required Documents section below). Ensure all submitted documents contain your full name, address, phone number, and last four digits of your social security number. Read more Security clearance Secret