Critical Thinker with Affinity for Writing Wanted
Do you remember diagraming sentences in grade school; if so, did you consider it fun? Do you recoil when people use the wrong antecedent for a pronoun, the wrong pronoun case or the wrong verb tense in conversation or in writing? Do you find yourself correcting the grammar on signage in restaurants and retail stores? Have you ever been disgusted by the poor grammar or punctuation in an official letter you received in the mail or via email? Does bad writing really annoy you?
If you answered YES to the majority of these questions, then you may be our next Proposal Writer/Editor. A global consulting firm headquartered in Falls Church, VA, is seeking a critical thinker with a natural proclivity for writing and an understanding of the proposal and/or grant writing process to join our proposal team.
The ideal candidate will meet a majority of the following criteria:
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism or comparable field; Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum of five years of experience writing proposals and/or outreach materials for USG clients – directly relevant experience writing and editing proposals in response to USG solicitations a plus
- Ability to write grammatically correct and cogent text for both technical and price proposal volumes, as required
- Ability to effectively write and/or edit original material for standard proposal sections: management, technical, past performance, etc.; adapt proposal boilerplate materials and/or edit/enhance materials produced by subject matter experts (SMEs) for proposal sections
- Ability to create overall design concept and write content for corporate marketing materials, such as brochures, fact sheets, web content, etc.
- Ability to create compliance matrices
- Ability to write proposal content compliant to the RFP without parroting the solicitation
- Ability to edit for proposal compliance, grammar/spelling, usage and style, including document formatting and placement of proposal graphics
- Ability to use MS Office suite with expert formatting skills (including document troubleshooting capabilities) in MS Word
- Maintain high standards for quality products, including expectations that all writing be clear, cogent and concise as well as grammatically correct
- Must have a “good eye” for design, meaning the ability to communicate with graphic artists and other team members in order to produce aesthetically pleasing proposals and marketing materials
- Team player who reads before asking questions and thinks before speaking
- Willing to participate in all aspects of proposal design and delivery, including production, even when that responsibility falls on a weekend, a holiday or a time that is personally inconvenient
- Experience leading proposal kickoff meetings and organizing proposal templates/assignments for authors a plus
- Calm under pressure with ability to submit proposals, RFIs and other documents on time with minimal error
- Strong work ethic and positive attitude – non-negotiable
If you meet the majority of these criteria and would like to be a part of a dynamic proposal team that is focused on delivery of quality proposals, please send us a copy of your updated CV. Candidates selected for interviews will be asked to complete an in-person writing sample and editing exercise.