Join the Information Technology Services team with The Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) as we continue to expand the frontiers of space astronomy. STScI is located on the Johns Hopkins University Campus in Baltimore, MD. We are the science operations center for the Hubble Space Telescope and the science and mission operations center for the James Webb Space Telescope, scheduled to launch in Spring 2020. STScI offers an excellent benefits package, tuition reimbursement, competitive salaries, and a stimulating and diverse work environment.
STScI is seeking an Information Security and Network Services Branch Manager, (equivalent to Director level in the industry), who will be responsible for the Institute’s information security, data and voice networks, and identity management infrastructures. You need strong leadership skills to motivate and inspire staff as well as influence strategic technology and business decisions. You also need to be current in information security, networking, and identity management practices. Your responsibilities in this role include:
- You work as an integral part of the IT Division Service’s Management Team in support of improving the breadth and depth of the IT staff’s contribution to the missions of STScI. This includes leadership, strategic planning, project and portfolio management, service development, and operations
- You manage a staff of approximately 10 security and network architects, engineers, and administrators
- You lead engineering, implementation, and support of information security and networking solutions and processes
- You proactively protect the integrity, confidentiality, and availability of STScI’s information technology resources
- You lead development, implementation, and operation of network architectures that ensure the proper balance between business needs, performance, cost, and information security
- You lead development, implementation, and operation of security solutions including firewalls, VPNs, intrusion detection and prevention, data loss prevention, anti-malware, vulnerability management, and patch management solutions
- You lead technology compliance and security reviews to ensure systems meet policies and standards as defined by government-mandated compliance standards
Requirements & Qualifications
A bachelor’s degree, preferably in the field of information systems or computer science and a minimum of 10 years of progressive and dynamic technical experience in the networking and information security domains and at minimum of 5 years of management experience. Substitution of additional relevant education or experience for stated qualifications may be considered.
- Excellent management, customer service, and communication skills
- Success in advocating for diverse and inclusive teams and work culture
- Experience with:
- Information security and networking. Certification preferred
- US Federal (DITSCAP, DIACAP, or FISMA) design and implementation are a plus
- ITIL. Certification preferred
- Waterfall and agile project management practices. Certification preferred
Candidates must be a US citizen or Permanent Resident. ITAR clearance is required.
TO APPLY: You are requested to complete an on-line application through our website at: www.stsci.edu/opportunities. Please include #02781 in the file name. Applications received by June 8, 2018 will receive full consideration.
AURA, as a leader in the astronomical community, is committed to diversity and inclusion. AURA develops and supports programs that advance our organizational commitment to diversity, broaden participation, and encourage the advancement of diversity throughout the astronomical scientific workforce. Learn more at www.aura-astronomy.org/diversity.asp
As a recipient of U.S. Government funding, AURA is considered a government contractor and is subject to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action regulations. As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, AURA and all of the centers, do not discriminate based on race, sex, color, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender identity expression, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, disability, and/or any other legally protected status under applicable federal, state, and local equal opportunity laws. The statements below as well as the requests for self-identification are required pursuant to these regulations. We encourage your participation in meeting these federal reporting requirements which are included for protection and to assist us in our record keeping and reporting. Your responses are kept strictly confidential.
STScI sees the diversity of our staff as a strategic priority in our desire to create a first-rate scientific community. We reflect that deep commitment in strongly encouraging women, minorities, veterans and disabled individuals to apply for these opportunities.
Veterans, disabled individuals or wounded warriors needing assistance with the employment process can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. EOE/AA/M/F/D/V Voted to the Baltimore Magazine Hall of Fame in 2015 – Top 25 Places to Work in Baltimore.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.