Chief Economist (DEU)
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
You must be a U.S. citizen to qualify for this position. You will need to successfully complete a background security investigation before you can be appointed into this position. You may be required to serve on a one year probationary period. Provide responses to the Professional Technical Qualification questions. A copy of your college transcripts. You will be required to submit a Financial Disclosure Report (SF-278) upon appointment.
Your answers to the Professional Technical Qualifications and Resume must demonstrate the below experience in order to move forward in the recruitment process. Please be sure to provide narrative responses to all questions. Do not write "See Resume".
- Extensive knowledge of principles of economic theory and models; statistical theory and methods; techniques of research and reporting, data collection and evaluation; basic statistical measures and terminology; principles of effective composition; and utilization of resource and reference materials.
- Considerable knowledge of intellectual property law and economics sufficient to communicate effectively with high level executives and to accurately assess programmatic areas.
- Considerable knowledge of economic analysis techniques and sources of economic and financial data pertinent to patents, trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets, and other types of intellectual property.
- Demonstrated experience in leadership positions and the ability to plan, direct, and review the work of professional staff in the analysis of economic data and preparation of comprehensive reports; apply expert judgment, prepare valid conclusions and accurate evaluations related to forecasting developments in the field of intellectual property; speak, write and communicate effectively with government officials, members of Congress and others.
You must meet the basic requirements:
A. Degree: Economics, that included at least 21 semester hours in economics and 3 semester hours in statistics, accounting, or calculus, or
B. Combination of education and experience: Courses equivalent to a major in economics, as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
If you are using a combination of education and experience in order to substitute for the degree, you must possess the following types of experiences:
- Individual economic research assignments requiring planning, information assembly, analysis and evaluation, conclusions and report preparation; and
- Supervisory or project coordination assignments involving a staff of professional economists, and requiring the evaluation and interpretation of economic information; and
- Teaching assignments in a college or university that included both class instruction in economics subjects and one of the following: a) personal research that produced evidence of results, b) direction of graduate theses in economics, or c) service as a consultant or advisor on technical economic problems.
A preferred candidate would possess a PH.D in Economics.
Applicants applying for this position must be a United States Citizen.
If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, you must certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System. If you are exempt from registration under Selective Service Law, you must provide appropriate proof of exemption. Please visit the Selective Service System website for more information
This is a Public Trust position and has a risk level designation of "moderate".
A recruitment and/or relocation incentive will not be authorized.
Background Investigation - If selected for this position, you may be required to complete a Declaration for Federal Employment (OF-306), which includes a fingerprint and credit check, to determine your suitability for Federal employment and to authorize a background investigation.
The USPTO participates in E-Verify. For more information on E-Verify, please visit http://www.dhs.gov/files/programs/gc_1185221678150.shtm
Probationary Period - If selected, you may be required to complete an initial one-year probationary period.
All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choice.
Individuals who have special priority selection rights under the Agency Career Transaction Assistance Program (CTAP) or Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) will be eligible if it is determined that they have exceeded the minimum qualifications for the position by attaining a minimum rating of 85 out of 100. Information about CTAP/ICTAP eligibility is on the Office of Personnel Management's Career Transition Resources website at: http://www.opm.gov/ctap/index.asp. CTAP/ICTAP documentation requirements are listed in the 'Required Documents' section of this announcement.
More than one selection may be made from this announcement if additional identical vacancies in the same title, series, grade, and unit occur within 90 days from the date the certificate was issued.
All application materials become the property of the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
The United States Patent and Trademark Office is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factors. If you believe that you have been discriminated against and would like to file an EEO complaint, you must do so within 45 days of the date of the alleged discriminatory act. Claims of employment discrimination must be submitted to the attention of the USPTO’s Office of Equal Employment Opportunity & Diversity via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone (571-272-8292).
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
In order to be considered for this position you must answer the Professional Technical Qualifications (PTQs) under the "Qualifications" section, and submit a detailed resume that supports your answers to the PTQs.
Your responses to the PTQs and resume will be evaluated by a Human Resources Specialist and/or a subject matter expert. Falsifying your background, education, and/or experience is cause for not hiring you or for changing your scored responses to questions you've answered, which may affect your overall final score. Please note that a complete application is required for consideration. (Please review the "Required Documents" section of this job announcement to see what must be included in a complete application).
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Public Trust - Background Investigation