Organizes and administers the overall program of interscholastic athletics for the high school to which he/she is assigned in cooperation with the Principal and Supervisor of Athletics; assumes responsibility for preparing the school's interscholastic athletic schedule in consultation with the Principal and coaching staff.
* Prepares and administers the school's athletic budget developed in consultation with the Principal and Supervisor of Athletics; supervises all ticket sales and fund-raising events of the athletic program and assumes responsibility for the proper handling of funds.
* Administers the physical and academic requirements for eligibility to participate in each sport and verifies the eligibility of each athlete; administers the insurance program covering school athletes.
* Supervises the coaching staff to ensure that proper practice schedules and safety procedures are maintained and that the Virginia High School League rules are adhered to by all athletic teams; oversees the VHSL State Coaches Education requirement of coaching staff; represents the school at area, regional, and state athletic association meetings.
* Coordinates the operation of athletic contests to ensure that transportation, officials, support personnel, and facilities are properly provided; fosters good school-community relations by keeping the community aware of the athletic program; attends and serves as a liaison to the Booster Club at the request of the Principal.
* Assumes responsibility for the requisition of athletic supplies and equipment; oversees the maintenance of athletic facilities and equipment; assists with the assignment, supervision, and evaluation of the coaching staff; plans and coordinates the school master calendar for student activities, the scheduling of student activities, and the use of school facilities in cooperation with the Student Activity Coordinator.
* Performs other duties as assigned by the Principal.
* Holds a valid teaching license.
* Has experience as a coach, teacher, administrator, assistant athletic director or athletic director with at least 5 years of experience at the secondary level.
* Possesses leadership qualities and personal characteristics necessary to work effectively with athletes, coaches, students, school administrators, staff, parents, and the community.
The Athletic Director reports to the Principal or the Principal's designee.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, use hands to finger, handle or feel objects or tools, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is regularly required to see, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch or bend, and may be required to lift up to approximately 50 pounds.