Job Category : Admin or Professional Faculty
Working hours :
Salary : Commensurate with education and experience.
Web Announcement :
George Mason University is currently seeking a Licensing Associate. The Licensing Associate is responsible for managing a portfolio of intellectual and tangible research properties developed by GMU investigators. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masons academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Responsibilities include soliciting and evaluating invention disclosures from the campus inventors; conducting technology assessments from a commercial and patentability perspective; formulating and implementing licensing and intellectual property management strategies; marketing the technology to prospective licensees; coordinating the filing and prosecution of patent applications; negotiating and writing contractual agreements including letter agreements, secrecy agreements, options, and licenses. The candidate will also be responsible for license compliance communications and performing other duties within the scope of the position, as assigned.
Responsibilities: This position reports directly to the Director and will participate in all aspects of protecting and commercializing new technologies developed at the George Mason University.
- Promote the mission and business of the department through the development of strong and positive relationships with Mason inventors, legal counsel, prospective and actual licensees, and colleagues.
- Solicit, screen and evaluate inventions to decide which inventions to pursue for intellectual property protection.
- Assist in the management of complex intellectual property portfolios. Manage the patent prosecution with outside counsel for selected inventions.
- Identify potential commercial applications and business partners for university inventions. Market university inventions through multiple channels to prospects capable of bringing the inventions to market.
- Develop and execute marketing plans for inventions and engage potential licensee.
- Negotiate and execute licenses and other agreements, including but not limited to those involving confidentiality and material transfer, sponsored research as well as inter-institutional agreements.
- Provide continuous management of existing agreements for performance, compliance and payment of associated fees.
- Perform other duties within the scope of the position, as assigned or required by the department or University. Required Qualifications:
- Masters degree in Engineering or computer science or closely related field.
- Working knowledge of standard principles, theories and concepts such as laws, regulations, and practices pertaining to the protection and management of intellectual property, including patents, copyrights, Trademarks, Trade Secrets.
- Familiarity with market research, commercial landscape and technology evaluation.
- Must be able to handle a wide variety of projects simultaneously while working in a professional manner with a wide variety of constituents including faculty, staff, attorneys, research sponsors, and industry executives.
- Must possess the ability to effectively prioritize assignments and projects to meet deadlines and productive within a dynamic, ever-changing environment.
- Professional and effective interpersonal and communication skills.
- Must be responsive, service-oriented, opportunistic, resourceful, deal-oriented, and highly efficient.
- A self-starter with an ability to work effectively independently as well as part of a team is necessary. Preferred Qualifications:
- A recent Ph.D. in Engineering or computer science or MBA in closely related field is a plus.
- Ability to market technology to industrial partners and ability to perform technical feasibility and competitive landscape analyses; performing market analyses; performing preliminary patentability assessments; and new venture creation.
- Some experience in the following areas: drafting and negotiating license agreements within a University/non-profit institution; a working knowledge of Intellectual Property Law- including Patents, Copyrights, Trademarks, Trade Secrets and/or some business experience.
- Prior experience related to marketing, business development, or licensing contracts
- Experience within an academic setting is a plus.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Close Date :