Extension Educator, Family and Consumer Sciences (Financial Capability & Family Resource Management)
5 days left
- Full Time
University of Maryland College of Agriculture and Natural Resources University of Maryland Extension (UME)
Working Title: Extension Educator, Family and Consumer Sciences (Financial Capability & Family Resource Management)
Position Number: 103388
Category Status: Tenured/Tenure-Track, Faculty, Full-Time
Unit: Calvert County, Southern Maryland Cluster
Home Office Location: University of Maryland Extension - Calvert County Office 30 Duke Street, Prince Frederick, Maryland 20678
PURPOSE: The Extension Educator will design, teach, implement and evaluate educational programs using research-based information for youth and adult audiences in the Southern Maryland Cluster. Programs will focus primarily financial capability and wellness for families, youth, and communities including entrepreneurship, food resource management and procurement, health and wellness concepts, etc. In carrying out these duties, the educator is responsible to the Family & Consumer Sciences Program Leader for programmatic leadership. For county-specific administrative matters, the individual is responsible to the Area Extension Director.
- Plan, implement and expand interdisciplinary educational programs designed to meet the needs of priority audiences, as identified through local needs assessment strategies. These efforts may include an integrated focus on financial capability, while incorporating food resource management, home energy conservation, family health and wellness, consumer fraud protection, and related topics that meet local needs.
- Provide leadership for the development, implementation and evaluation of educational programs focused broadly on financial capability and family resource management for families, youth, and communities, including, but not limited to, basic financial management, planning for a secure financial future, entrepreneurship, food resource management, home energy conservation, health and wealth concepts as it relates to financial wellness, etc.
- Collaborate with colleagues across Maryland to implement signature financial capability and family resource management programs for targeted priority audiences that meet local priority needs and address UME statewide priorities.
- Engage clientele in the education process using learner-centered strategies and
targeted outcomes that result in improvements in knowledge, attitudes, and skills leading to positive behaviors and practices.
- Utilize planned evaluation strategies as outlined in Healthy Living Program Playbook by the Financial Capability Action Team.
- Develop partnerships and collaborations with colleagues, campus specialists, external organizations, and government agencies at the county and cluster level to implement
educational programs and better serve clientele.
- Utilize only educational materials from University of Maryland, other state/national extension programs and universities, government agencies, and NGOs that are grounded in research and science and are evidence-based.
- Generate funding through the development of proposals to supplement and enhance local programming efforts, including grants, contracts, and cost recovery efforts.
- Develop, synthesize, and disseminate knowledge related to program priorities through scholarly efforts, including peer-reviewed publications, professional presentations, articles in refereed journals, etc.
- Actively participate in professional service such as relevant committees, boards, and associations at local, state, university, and national levels.
- MS Degree in personal finance, family & consumer sciences, family economics, or related field
- General understanding of educational program development process
- Evidence of ability to effectively communicate with and engage diverse clientele.
- Demonstrated evidence of excellent teaching and communication skills.
- Ability to think independently, yet work successfully as a member of a cohesive team
- Strong interpersonal skills to support the development of successful collaborations.
- Strong computer skills and experience with Google Mail system, Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher, and other software to support program development and management
- Commitment to lifelong learning and professional development
- Personal transportation and valid driver’s license required. Must be willing to travel throughout the cluster as well as the state of Maryland as needed.
- Flexible work schedule required for delivering evening and weekend educational programs and activities as determined by clientele availability and needs.
- When offered employment by UME, the successful candidate will be required to obtain a clear background check by the State of Maryland and FBI.
- Ph.D. preferred in a relevant field of study
- Relevant professional certifications in financial education, such as a Certified Financial Educator, Counselor, or Planner
- Extension or similar work experience in formal or non-formal community education
- Ability and experience in using social media to engage clientele
- Ability and experience in developing and implementing online modules and classes
Physical Demands of the Position: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Nature of the Position: This position frequently presents information through vocal and
written communication to individuals of various ages, socio-economic, and educational backgrounds. The ability to express or exchange ideas vocally is important, as well as the ability to hear and perceive information at normal spoken work levels.
- Physical Demands: A routine part of this position's responsibilities would be to transport
materials to and from teaching/event locations, including loading and unloading the vehicle. The employee will frequently lift and/or move items weighing up to 20 pounds. Set-up and tear-down of displays, tables, and chairs would be necessary at many teaching sites.
- Environmental: Team driven, office environment of professional character, competence, and collaboration. Deadline driven in terms of program planning and reporting. This position may requires the employee to work in community or school environments.
- Visual Acuity: Visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data and presentations.
SALARY & BENEFITS: Salary will be commensurate with experience. Masters: Base $51,575 / Ph.D.: Base $61,650 The University of Maryland offers an extensive benefits package.
APPLICATION PROCESS: All candidates must apply online at https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/59293 A complete application packet includes: a cover letter, resume or CV, contact information for three references, and copies of transcripts. For best consideration apply by May 11, 2018 or until suitable candidate is selected.
The University of Maryland, College Park, actively subscribes to a policy of equal employment opportunity, and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, age, sex, color, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, religion, ancestry or national origin, marital status, genetic information, or political affiliation. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.