This position is one of a team of supervisors that are responsible for supervising, training, mentoring, coaching and evaluating skilled and semi-skilled trade employees in a variety of building trades including: mechanical, electrical, carpentry, plumbing, plant engineer and general maintenance activities.
The maintenance supervisor is a leader responsible for assigning and supervising the work of a large team of professional maintenance personnel. The maintenance supervisor evaluates their staff's performance, approves leave and overtime, and participates in the selection, promotion, and discipline of maintenance personnel. The maintenance supervisor participates in the rotation of on-call Facility Services Supervisors.
* Supervises licensed trade professionals including HVAC Technicians, HVAC Controls Technicians, Electricians, Plumbers, Gas Fitters, and Refrigeration Technicians; supervises skilled and semi-skilled trade professionals including Carpenters, Mechanics, Refuse Drivers, General Maintenance Workers, Painters, Plant Engineers, and Preventive Maintenance Technicians
* Prepares daily work assignments for maintenance employees and directs accomplishment of work. Uses maintenance management reports to assure that work is completed in a timely manner and to measure effectiveness of technicians
* Monitors the quality of maintenance and repair work. Directs and evaluates the performance of maintenance staff through periodic inspections and direct daily supervision
* Instructs maintenance personnel in diagnostic and repair techniques and in the use of new equipment to maintain and improve their technical skill levels. May assist maintenance staff to facilitate their training
* Meets with Building Administrators and School Principals to determine quality and customer satisfaction with work being performed by the maintenance staff
* Will perform duties of On-Call Facilities Services Supervisor when scheduled to represent the Division Director
* Serves as Essential Personnel and may lead Facilities Services Division response to facility emergencies or other incidents impacting school operations
* Bachelors of Science in Construction or Facilities Management; or proven work experience and/or training to demonstrate the standards, concepts and guidelines significant to perform the responsibilities of the position
* Licensed Master Level Technician in HVAC/Mechanical, Electrical, or Plumbing, or comparable Master Level Technician in Carpentry or General Maintenance
* Ten (10) years' experience in the building trades, including three (3) years of supervisory experience
* Demonstrated effectiveness of supervisory and organizational skills and able to lead and secure the cooperation of the maintenance staff
* Ability to handle employee complaints and issues
* Knowledge of building maintenance operations including methods, materials and tools used
* Knowledge of the hazards of the maintenance trades and application of safety precautions utilized to minimize risks
* Knowledge of using computerized management reports to assess effectiveness of a maintenance organization
* Ability to interpret Policies, Regulations, Operations and Maintenance Manuals, and to read blueprints
* Must possess a valid state vehicle operator's license
The Maintenance Supervisor reports to the Supervisor, Facilities Operations.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects or tools; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is regularly required to see, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit; walk; stoop, kneel, crouch or bend and may be required to lift approximately 50 pounds. May be exposed to extreme temperatures and other inclement weather.